Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Beans

LOL I found the bulk section at Sprouts last week and have fallen in love with the great prices!!

They have lots and lots of beans and rice... etc Sooooooo I need help... I've never used dried beans before. So I'm clueless as to what to do with them how to prepare them ahead of time... etc

Any yummy recipes/ideas as to things to make would be awesome too

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Abaratkeeper
Registered Users

Re: Beans

I'm sure you could find tons of recipes on someplace like allrecipes.com or recipezaar. Plus beans are great in the crock pot.
I have a pressure cooker, which takes the cook time for beans from an hour and a half or more down to about 10 minutes! But if you have to cook on the stove top you can always cook up a bunch and just before they're nice and tender freeze them (drain off liquid), then when needed you can take them out and throw them in whatever dish you need and let them cook the last few minutes.
I use beans all the time in stews, crock pot meals, soups, homemade refried beans, etc. They're a great nutrition punch for dishes.
I think our family favourite is a mex type chili/stew that I make.
I use chicken breast, cut up or shredded like I'd do for chicken noodle soup or some such. Put that in your pan or crock pot with cooked great northern beans, corn, some pepper flakes, a little garlic and cumin and some chicken broth or boullion. Goes great with cornbread muffins.
Hope that helps!
Abaratkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Beans

Great ideas!!! TY!!

That recipe sounds yummy!!!