Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: C sections... and me in the 2ww .. BLAH..

I know they do some pelvic symetry(sp?) sometimes to see how big your bone structure is, but to me thats just a cop out for not trying. Don't mean to offend anyone who had a elective C/S.

I am 5' 4" and I pushed for a hour and a half with my first child(she was 8 lbs. even at birth) and only 15 minutes with my second and he was 9lbs. 8 oz at birth....

I think a lot of it could be positional too..

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

I had normal vag births with my first 2 (9-8 and 9 even) then my 3rd lil stinker was transverse and wouldn't stay head down even when my ob turned him so I had to have a c. Then my 4th had to be a c because no one here will do a vbac, but he wouldn't turn head down either so I guess it didn't matter anyway.(3rd and 4th were 9-3 and 8-8)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
camo_diapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry Iím a lurker but wanted to post on the subject.

It has nothing to do with how tall/short skinny or fat you are. It will depend on how open your pelvis is on the inside. Even if you have wide hips from the out side you could be narrow on the inside. Some women have a wide pelvic opening even though they are them selves tiny and can easily give birth to a 10 lb baby.

Drs. Are supposed to check your pelvic opening through a pelvic exam to see if your bones have the right shape and size to pass a large baby. My dr. checked me during my last pregnancy and said that I should be fine as long as my baby did not get over 9lbs. So yes it is sometimes imposable for a woman with a narrow pelvic opening to give birth with out a c-section. However that is not normally the case. Most babies born through a c-section are because of position or fetal distress. So that makes many VBACs possible if you can find a Dr. willing to do it.

So for the mommas looking for a VBAC good luck, most of the time it is possible as long as you have the right support.

Oh and your chart looks great!!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
jfit52
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo_diapers View Post
It has nothing to do with how tall/short skinny or fat you are. It will depend on how open your pelvis is on the inside. Even if you have wide hips from the out side you could be narrow on the inside. Some women have a wide pelvic opening even though they are them selves tiny and can easily give birth to a 10 lb baby.

So for the mommas looking for a VBAC good luck, most of the time it is possible as long as you have the right support.

Ditto! It also depends on the shape of your pelvic bones. If you have a "U" it will be easier to push out a big baby or any baby for that matter. If you have a "V" it can be more diffiicult for the baby to get through.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
curlie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfit52 View Post
Ditto! It also depends on the shape of your pelvic bones. If you have a "U" it will be easier to push out a big baby or any baby for that matter. If you have a "V" it can be more diffiicult for the baby to get through.
...and that is IF the baby cooperates in the first place. Both of my DDs were still way up high a week or more after their due dates, wrapped up in their cords *already* with no intention of coming out. With the first, I at least dilated to 3-4, but an induction or even waiting for her to come down either wouldn't have happened or would have resulted in undue stress due to the cord. With the second, I never even dilated that much. Frustrating? Yes.

Baby #3 will be a scheduled c-section as a result. I am finally getting over this over four years after the first c-section and over two years after not getting my VBAC. The ideals I had just never panned out.
curlie is offline   Reply With Quote