Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #11
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

I'm a Washington mama too! We buy most everything in bulk. We do our shopping at Costco and Fred Meyer with a smattering of Trader Joe's. If it's cheaper to buy in bulk, I do it. And I make our own bread, so we go through tons of flour! A five lb bag wouldn't make more than a week here.

All of my dry staples (flour, sugar, rice, beans, etc) get stored in airtight food storage containers. I have a bunch of snapware for my pantry, squares in various sizes, that I keep a reasonable amount for use in. The rest of the package goes into a 5 gallon food grade storage bucket in the garage. I also buy bulk meats and cheeses and use my Foodsaver to seal them and I freeze the meats.

As far a shopping with a little one, I just tend to deal with it and do my best. I wear the baby a lot, but different things work for different people. In a few months your baby will be old enough to sit in the cart, which could help. I almost always shop with my hubby and all 3 kids. I make a meal plan and a list (so we only have to shop once a week) and we all go out after dinner on Friday nights, and try to make a fun family time of it. You'll get into a groove eventually.

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
madmollyann
Registered Users
seller

Of you're not thrilled with your Moby- I loved ours for a newbie, but not long after that- you might consider a visit to your local babywearing group. They probably have a lending library of carriers you can try, and have DH try, so you know just what you want before you invest. Good luck!
madmollyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nariah01 View Post
Hey you live fairly close to me, in fact I had my LO at Tacoma General. lol.
That's where my 7 year old was born! We live about 10 minutes from there. I was so happy when the Tacoma WinCo opened about 2 years ago. Before that I was driving to Sumner to shop! It went from about 25 minutes away to 5!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
Nariah01
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I'm a Washington mama too! We buy most everything in bulk. We do our shopping at Costco and Fred Meyer with a smattering of Trader Joe's. If it's cheaper to buy in bulk, I do it. And I make our own bread, so we go through tons of flour! A five lb bag wouldn't make more than a week here.

All of my dry staples (flour, sugar, rice, beans, etc) get stored in airtight food storage containers. I have a bunch of snapware for my pantry, squares in various sizes, that I keep a reasonable amount for use in. The rest of the package goes into a 5 gallon food grade storage bucket in the garage. I also buy bulk meats and cheeses and use my Foodsaver to seal them and I freeze the meats.

As far a shopping with a little one, I just tend to deal with it and do my best. I wear the baby a lot, but different things work for different people. In a few months your baby will be old enough to sit in the cart, which could help. I almost always shop with my hubby and all 3 kids. I make a meal plan and a list (so we only have to shop once a week) and we all go out after dinner on Friday nights, and try to make a fun family time of it. You'll get into a groove eventually.
That sounds a lot like the idea I had, because I have small containers, just not large. But now that I know where to get the big buckets I can take advantage of that. Yeah the flour doesn't last long in our house either. I make all our regular bread for toast and sandwich's which doesn't last long, and then I also am starting to make some sweet breads and such, so I suspect that the more I cook the more quickly I will go through that stuff.

Man I had no idea there were so many Washington mamas on here! Its kind of nice really considering I know nobody close to me, my parents are two hours away and I don't see them much. And I have no friends around here, my closest one moved to Colorado recently, so its nice to see more moms that live close to me. BTW I love your middle sons name, I wanted to name my LO that but DH said It was too trendy and he didn't want our son to have the same name as 100 other kids. lol I told him he was being silly, but we agreed that Samuel was a good fit.
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
Nariah01
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
That's where my 7 year old was born! We live about 10 minutes from there. I was so happy when the Tacoma WinCo opened about 2 years ago. Before that I was driving to Sumner to shop! It went from about 25 minutes away to 5!
Too funny. I just discovered Winco so I am pretty happy. Oh and I just wanted to let you know I looked through a lot of the recipes you had on your blog and it is what inspired me to start trying to cook, they all sound so good. I am going to pick one to try for dinner tomorrow night! Hope it goes well, and if it doesn't I will keep trying until I get it right! Off topic, lovely weather we are having today, lol.
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
gghmommy
Registered Users

For storage, I'm totally not in your area, so I don't know for sure, but here you can buy or even get free buckets from grocery stores that have a bakery with cakes. They get their icing in them, so a good wash and they are food safe.

As for littles, I used a carrier with our first, then mostly left the baby in the infant seat with #2 but didn't want to have too much shopping with both kids, there's not as much room in the cart. Now I often go first thing in the morning after breakfast, or when DH can watch the kids.
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
Jenn27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my big bulk purchases (oats, wheat berries, succanat) I use 5 gallon/2 gallon buckets that I got for free from the bakery at Kroger and from a local butcher. For my beans, rice, etc that I buy in 10-15 pound bags, I use half gallon mason jars.

I second wearing the LO in the Ergo for shopping. I wore mine until she was 3 on my back just so I could get in and out of the store quickly!