Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
ktmamabird
Registered Users
seller

Vitamin D concerns

My recent routine bloodwork came back with low vit D. Our pediatrician always checks to make sure that our 1-yr-old is taking her vitamin D supplement. And, my stepfather, a family practice doctor, who only doles out "scientifically backed" advice, especially when it comes to supplements has been reminding us all to take vit D lately.

In addition, we've moved to the Pacific Northwest (U.S.), in the last few years, where the sun certainly doesn't shine as often as it does in other places we have lived. Consequently family is not seeing much sun, especially outside of the 3 sunny, summer months.

What's up with the concerns - and reality of - low vit D? What non-supplement options are easiest / best / your favorite for ensuring that you and your family have healthy levels of vit D? I may take a supplement, but I like to get what I can naturally as well.

Thanks!

Advertisement

ktmamabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
bookwookie
Registered Users

Re: Vitamin D concerns

I'm not sure about the non-supplement options (other than sunlight), but a vitamin D supplement that is literally one drop on the tongue per day is ddrops. 1000IU for adults, 400IU for infants. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Daps&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1395634737221#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ddrops&sprefix=ddrop%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck %3Addrops[/url]

The health issues with low vitamin D (I believe) are increased risks of some cancers, and lowered immune system to fight infections etc.

Last edited by bookwookie; 03-23-2014 at 10:30 PM.
bookwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
ktmamabird
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the suggestion.

We give my daughter a multi-vit with D. I probably need the supplement myself.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
ktmamabird
Registered Users
seller

My doctor suggested I take 4000 UI, which seems too high. Isn't vit D fat soluble and thus toxic in high doses? I'm thinking I should call my doctor to see if that is a typo.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Kmomto2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope 4000IU is correct for women. It has been found that Vit D will not cause a problems until very much higher. Remember it is made by our bodies. I do not remember the amount per day but think it is around 30,000IU on a sunny day.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
ktmamabird
Registered Users
seller

That's so interesting, b/c a nutrition / cook book that I have found to be very reliable in many other regards states very clearly that 1000 UI / day is adequate and to be wary of overdosing on all fat-soluble vitamins such as vit D.

BTW, I completely believe you and am sure that it's backed up as I do more research. It's just amazing to me how much mis-information one can run across - even in mostly reliable sources!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

My cardiologist was the first to check me and I was the all time low level he had seen. He put me on extremely high dosage (10,000 per day) for one week and then 4000 per day ongoing. Vitamen D effects almost everything. I live in Florida and heaven knows I see plenty of sun but that is still no guarantee. Go with the supplement.
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
bookwookie
Registered Users

My prenatal vitamin has 3000 IU in it, if that helps. I think there has been more and more positive research about vitamin D lately. My guess is that 4000IU is probably correct. I think 1000 IU a day is probably the minimum that most adults with normal levels of vitamin D should take.
bookwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ideally, you would get Vit from the sun.
You can't make Vit D without skin exposure to the sun without sunscreen.
In northern U S, is pretty much impossible to naturally make enough Vit D, due to the angle of the sun.

2nd choice is a specially taking bed that doesn't do the tanning/ damage but helps the skin make Vit D.

3rd is supplement

There are SO many issues associated with low Vit D.

You can check out mercola. He's a little bit of an alarmist, but he lays out able of the research re vit D quite well

No, you pretty much can't OD on it. I increased my daily dose to 4000 after a lower test on 2000. The USDA recommendations are highly conservative on this.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote