Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
AmandaHW
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is lowballing and rudeness the new norm?

I guess it has been a while since I have sold diapers here (my youngest before the newbie is 8 years old) But, I recently listed a bunch of diapers (as in over 100) and while some of the mamas have been super sweet and easy to work with I have had a lot of people be outright rude. (For example when they found out a HTF diaper they wanted was already sold...)

The other thing I notice is that over half of my PMs are people asking me for a price reduction. I don't mind reducing prices on some items, especially when I can combine shipping or when people are buying a large lot of items...but some of the PMs I am getting would barely cover shipping on new or like new items.

Is this the new "norm" to haggle over every price? Maybe I should just increase prices over what I think is fair so then people can feel the satisfaction of getting a reduced price?

I mostly just issue a polite no thank you as I am in no rush to sell most of my items (I can sell locally a couple of times a year at a cloth diaper swap) but I don't understand why people would be so rude in replies.

I'm not trying to be ugly about this, just wondering if that is what I should expect or if it is out of the norm?

ETA: Again, I have also dealt with lots of nice mamas here, but I am just a little shocked by some of the PMs I have been getting...

Advertisement

Last edited by AmandaHW; 03-26-2014 at 09:38 AM.
AmandaHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is lowballing and rudeness the new norm?

i don't think rudeness is normal. I do think making an offer seems to be the norm. However I have gotten some rudeness a few times. I just say no and move on. Depending on the offer I will sometimes counter offer.

Like you I don't mind an offer. I can say yes or no depending on how much of a hurry I am to sell or if the offer is on a big group or if I think it is a fair offer.

There are just some people that want everything for free or nearly free.

Last edited by Nerissa; 03-26-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: my first sentence didn't make sense
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

It does seem like low balling is really becoming the norm. People can get their china cheapies for $5 or less so they don't want to hardly spend anything. I hate this whole china cheapie situation and what its doing to the market

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i think giving an offer is pretty common, and i dont see any harm in asking, i always expected people to make me an offer. You are certainly welcome to turn their offers down, which you obviously know. Im sorry people are being rude to you though I havent sold in a while so i certainly hope thats not the new norm. If you are firm on your prices i would mention that in your thread, and that should stop anyone from giving you a low ball offer
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
It does seem like low balling is really becoming the norm. People can get their china cheapies for $5 or less so they don't want to hardly spend anything. I hate this whole china cheapie situation and what its doing to the market
Agreed. We have a local cloth diaper sell page and most of the moms use cheapies exclusively. I listed a beautiful wool set (shirt, hat and longies) for $60 and included 3 fitteds!!! People were offering me $20....
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Ugh, that's so frustrating mama.

Makes me glad I sold off dds huge stash of GMs two years ago. I would have been choking at the $5 offers for those. :/

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy
Agreed. We have a local cloth diaper sell page and most of the moms use cheapies exclusively. I listed a beautiful wool set (shirt, hat and longies) for $60 and included 3 fitteds!!! People were offering me $20....
I have a pair of beautiful scrappy toddler longies I've been hoarding for nearly 6 years because I refuse to part with them for the pennies I see being offered. It's such a shame that such amazing handiwork is practically 'worth nothing' now.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I could have written your post! My last destash experience here recently was so different from when I destashed four years ago. Lowball offers left and right -- almost like it was in the newbie manual of what you should do when buying used. And yes rudeness--I don't mean outright rudeness but things like no "hi mama" to start a PM or a "signature"/name to end a PM, and flat out no response if they didn't want to pursue further. (In the past I think I usually got at least a "no thanks I'm going to pass.")

Yes also to the sweet mamas who are still out there but they seem to be getting fewer and farther between.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
I have been holding onto my wool for this reason too.

That sounds like an awesome deal. If it was the right size I would have bought it quickly.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy
I have a beautiful new gift wrap romper/hat/booties set that I paid $120 for, someone offered me $10ppd. I was only asking $40, this is why I don't sell anything anymore I end up giving it away

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote