Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

2006 PIS vs 2014 ? Have there been major improvements?

I had a 2006 Pump in Style Advance with my oldest. I failed miserably at pumping. I could pump both sides for an hour and not get half an ounce total. It hurt. It was discouraging. Our finances suffered because I couldn't go back to work.

I thought that I just couldn't respond to a pump. Now I'm wondering if it was a combination of not so great pump, the wrong size flanges, inexperience and lack of the type of support available today.

Everyone I see a thread asking which pump to get that is covered under insurance, the PIS is most frequently recommended. Should I give it another try, even though my last experience was nothing short of horrific? Has Medela truly improved that much? Was my biggest problem possibly using the flanges that came with it? I have tiny, deflated B cups, but huge nipples and areolas. That means I need bigger flanges, right?

I absolutely HAVE to go back to work this time. If I can take six weeks it will be a miracle. None of my babies have ever had a drop of formula and I would give anything to keep it that way, but I'm terrified I won't be able to pump again.

Advertisement

L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
thelilprincess
Registered Users

Re: 2006 PIS vs 2014 ? Have there been major improvements?

i just got my medela advanced personal double pump (insurance version of PISA) in the mail today despite being told it's backordered until 2/8 and they wouldn't begin processing until i was within 30 days of my due date (due in April). so i'm not familiar with it. i just know from googling, that supposedly the PISA is more quiet and stronger than the Freestyle.

I got the Medela Freestyle back in 2010 and had to purchase larger flanges. I chose the Freestyle for portability. I had to supplement by the time she was 5/6 months. i went back to work at 3 months and that could have been a contributing factor since I wasn't able to pump on a regular schedule. but i also partly blame MIL because whenever she insisted i nap, i gave instructions to wake me up when DD needed to be breastfed. of course, she never did and always gave baby the bottle of pumped milk i had in the fridge/freezer. i bought a freestyle for my sister end of 2013 and she is the opposite of us - well endowed and has been pumping lots of milk (and her baby came 5 weeks early!). she loves the freestyle.

i'm planning on taking advantage of the free support group post-partum. and i am even considering to pay and take the breastfeeding class prior to giving birth. fortunately the nurses at my hospital L&D are specially trained to help teach breastfeeding - so when LC wasn't available, the nurses were there to help me get DD to latch on. I never looked into support groups later that and in hindsight I regret not doing so.
thelilprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
thelilprincess
Registered Users

oh, and i'm researching into Pumpin' Pals. wondering if those will help this time around.
thelilprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got my PISA at the VERY end of 2006, I think I got it on December 30. I loved it at the time but now I am not a fan. This time around I heard about Hygea and that is a GREAT pump. My PISA had small cracks in the rubber from sitting around all that time. So the suction had lost some. The Hygea doesn't have those issues. It is like a hospital grade pump, but I own it. I got the kind with the built in battery and I am glad I did. It works great and I can still walk around while pumping if need be. The Hygea is also recyclable so that is a great perk too.

I would look around. Medela is what most lactation people talk about, but it isn't the only brand out there. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
Has Medela truly improved that much? Was my biggest problem possibly using the flanges that came with it? I have tiny, deflated B cups, but huge nipples and areolas. That means I need bigger flanges, right?
This pump worked really well for me for awhile, but it started getting tired after a year (second owner). I probably could have replaced parts and brought it back to life.

As for flanges, I thought I would need larger ones (I had DD's before birth and like H immediately after), but they didn't work for me. So try regular sizes you might be surprised as to which size fits you.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
qhorses8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would look into pumping pals since you think you need bigger flanges and I think they give you 3 sizes.

Other than that I like my medela, the only issue I have is I with you our adjust the pull strength and length seperate, as it does sometimes hurt but I get more faster with a longer pull length.. . if that makes sense. I do have a amelda? that does that but it just doesn't work as well for me.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
AmandaHW
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, one difference is that the pre-2008 pumps were 12V and the new are 9V. I honestly feel like a get a little less suction (but this could be just perception...it was 7 years ago when I last pumped). Really, the pump seems mostly the same though.

As much as I love breastfeeding, I really hate pumping. But I did succesfully EP for DS1 and pumped while working for DS2 using nothing but a PIS so I can't really say too many bad things about Medela.

When I first started trying to pump for a stash for this baby (around 4 weeks) I was having dismal results, but trying to relax and take deep breaths made a huge difference for me. I know that sounds nutty, but I just wasn't responding to the pump and I noticed I was tense/shoulders hiked up etc.