Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Book Recommendations for starting to eat better

I have been working for years on eating more organic foods but the past few months its been all fast food all the time. It was a downhill before that but we have hit the worst eating habits yet. I have gained 35lbs in the last year!! I want to turn this around but I want more than just organic food. I want to figure out how to eat well. What book recommendations would help me start this journey to eating better?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

I really like the cookbook "Nourishing Meals" by Alissa Sergesten. It is a gluten free cookbook, but it's all healthy and yummy, and she talks throughout the boom about health stuff and ways to be healthier. Not a ton, but enough. Anyway, a lot of good, healthy recipes and a nice mix of veggies, meat, meatless, and several gluten free baking recipes that are all all on the healthy side. I believe she has a blog as well. Not sure if you are looking for philosophy responses, but if you're "action oriented" I'd check it out. HTH!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
katiepony
Registered Users
seller

Re: Book Recommendations for starting to eat better

Smitten Kitchen makes a nice cook book. Another good one is the Zone.

Honestly, I think you should go to your local library and just cruise through the cookbook section. It is so motivating! I like ones with pictures, because they inspire me.

A truly delicious, healthy cook book is The Silver Palate cookbook.

And in terms of quick meals that are low cal and high nutrition, I love this old book called "Eat and Lose Weight." Not fancy, but very helpful for day in, day out eating.
katiepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
katiepony
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and I would just try to use the healthiest choices you can for all the recipes you make. If it says, "lettuce," just choose local or organic. I like to go to the local farmer's market and pick up $20 worth of veg. Then go from there! Let the food that is in season dictate your meals. This is very counter to our current culture. We say, "I want lasagna," and then buy the things to make that. But if we look at what is fresh, we can do well. I love fresh greens, a hardboiled egg and nuts as a quick meal. Add a grilled cheese and it is quite hearty. Or top with crisp stir-fried "whatever veggie is fresh" and it is a good meal.
katiepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
jessicaventura
Registered Users

My Mood:

I really liked Wheat Belly. Very interesting.
jessicaventura is offline   Reply With Quote