Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I need help figuring out food for DH for the week

We are signing the lease for DH's temp apartment. He will be keeping the bare basics there. We have an air mattress for the time being, the closet there has plenty of shelves for his clothes. There's also a fridge and stove, but no microwave. I am reasonably sure I can get a hold of a cheapo microwave soon, but at least for next week, no microwave

He will drive out on Monday, going straight to work. After work, he will head over to the apartment and he will be there Monday night, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday he will leave the apartment and head to work then come home and be here over the weekend. Then repeat the process on Monday.

SO, the question is, how do I handle food for him? Ideas?

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need help figuring out food for DH for the week

I would keep it as simple as possible. Pb&j and/or lunch meat sandwiches. Microwave meals. Frozen pizzas. Those can be put in the oven. Granola bars or cereal for breakfast. Bananas and apples for fruit. I don't know how your husband is but mine would go out to eat if he had to out too much work into what is at home. If you are feeling ambitious you could cook a big pot of soup or chili and freeze in individual servings.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some premade stews, chili, soups portioned out in the freezer.

Does he cook? A dozen eggs and he can have omelettes or eggs in the morning. How about instant oatmeal?

Cold cuts , peanut butter, cheese bread. I'm just throwing out what my dh grabs when he is fending for himself. He will also make pasta and sauce. That would be another option.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would do something like this: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com...nd-my-madness/ Her first cookbook explains it better but basically it is cooking up ground beef and chicken and then having veggies already cut up and ready to go and adding some sauce. You don't need a microwave then, you just need a skillet to throw everything together in and go! My DH even uses this for his lunch and has salads with meat and such on them.

It is ready in a jiffy and isn't highly processed. Something I love!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

My DH "bachelor cooks" when he's on his own. Sandwiches, frozen French fries, boxed Mac n cheese, hamburger helper, grilled cheese, burgers, etc.

If you'd prefer he eat homemade meals then you'd have to prep and freeze meals that could be reheated like soup, stew, casseroles and pizzas.

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also for easy reheating you could send a smaller crock pot (if you have one) until you get the microwave issue resolved. A crock pot is supposed to be 3/4 full (I think?) to cook properly but it would easily reheat soups and such on high in maybe an hour or so?
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When cooking for himself my DH tends to make pasta with olive oil and parm cheese a lot. He will also do a variety of hot sandwiches in our sandwich maker. Hot tuna, pepperoni and cheese, that kind of thing. Or he'll heat up a can of soup or raviolis. Grill type foods usually appeal to guys. Burgers, hot dogs, steaks on the grill or in the frying pan.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote