Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Oh, those tiny hands.......

My new little girl latches on like a pro on my right side......she could open her mouth a bit more but she's learning and her target is BIG (alot bigger than 3 years ago with #1.... )

On the left side, she just makes a tiny O with her mouth (albeit it's not a big mouth to begin and then starts to close it before anything but the nipple makes it to the mouth. Her big sister wasn't too fond of this side either so it became the low producer (i could pump 2oz out of it after nursing while i could still get 5-7 out of the right side AFTER nursing...)......

On the left side though she seems to want her tiny hands IN there with the breast......I have been placing the inner arm down her side so it's out of the way while she latches on but the outer arm does it's own thing and the fingers wanna be in their with the milk and it frustrates us both....

I had the same issue with her sister and can't remember how we fixed it. I would go to an LLL meeting for some help but near me they all meet in the daytime and I don't have a car in the daytime right now......

She is gaining well despite the hands issue, I just don't want her to learn that this way of latching on is ok all the's half right, half lazy.....

I do gently push on her chin (well, not PUSH but ykwim) after she is latched so she takes in more of the bottom part of the aerola and that seems to help a tad but....

SAHM to my beautiful 5y dd 2y dd and my DH

ISO: fall/winter wool and sets. Would LOVE some Harper......M/L
gooseysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Oh, those tiny hands.......

I had to just try try try again with Sarah. I would rub her upper lip until she'd give a big AH mouth and then I'd move in, if she closed up before she was latched on right I unlatched and started over. In the beginning I'd give her a couple minutes on the side she latched onto easier before working on her latch on the other side so she wasn't too upset. Have you looked at the jacknewman website? I am a FTM but his videos really helped in those first few upsetting days.
Loving wife to my awesome husband (8/4/05) and a "doing what's best for my family SAHM" to my silly Sarah (12/11/06) and my HG miracle Desmond (10/9/09)
Drearina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Oh, those tiny hands.......

you could also rub her cheek w your nipple so that she turns toward it and as soon as she opens her little mouth, pop in the boob
Ash~Mama to 3
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote