Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
ilovemygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
How do you handle all the noise of multiple kids?

I had an only child who was very quiet by nature for six years before we had twins a year ago. I guess I got used to the quiet ... lol.
I can't always help everyone at the same time and it's just inevitable that one of the babies is going to start crying when I hold the other one, prepare lunch, use the bathroom, etc.
I don't know why it gets me so upset and this might sound awful but the yelling and crying is driving me crazy. Maybe this is ridiculous but how do you handle all the noise? Both upset kids and the noise that comes from having multiple kids running around playing happily.

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you handle all the noise of multiple kids?

General noise doesn't bother me much, as long as everyone is happy. My Irish twins (7 & 19 months) take turns fussing and bawling nearly all dang day long. It makes me crazy, especially when they are bawling in unison. I am only one person. I can usually only meet one kid's needs at a time, and it's really stressful when there's another one bawling relentlessly in the background. God forbid that one of my older kids ever need something. I feel like I have PTSD. I'm always on edge, waiting for someone to explode. I feel like I have to rush, rush, rush ALWAYS. I can't relax.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

I have learned to tune out a certain level of noise. That being said I am always trying to teach them to keep the noise down. I have noticed that the younger kids will keep getting louder and louder until the get my attention. I think that it's a learned behavior just because there is more noise with more kids. I guess I don't have any great advice other than maybe trying to encourage them too use their words and ignore loudness/crying used as an attention getter. My kids know that whining, screaming, crying ,etc. for something won't get it for them, but that doesn't mean they won't still try it sometimes.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

In the main living areas, the kids need to keep noise to a polite level. If they want to be really loud and rowdy, they're told to take it downstairs or outside.

When you do get peaceful moments, like when the littles are napping and your oldest is playing alone, just soak up those moments. Use them to do what recharges you. It helps me be more patient.

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
beachbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Noise does get a little stressful, so I try and teach them to have inside quiet voices and when It gets to be to much I send them outside.
beachbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I understand. I am not only getting after my kids but hubby as well who screams at the kids instead of just putting toddler in crib for time out and solitude as that is the fastest way to get her calm for us for one instance that comes to mind.

My mom is like just tell her to sit and stay... great for you mom but that don't work for me. My mom was rather strict and controlling over all and some of it drove me nuts.

I wish there was a great answer that worked for all of us.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygirl View Post
I had an only child who was very quiet by nature for six years before we had twins a year ago. I guess I got used to the quiet ... lol.
I can't always help everyone at the same time and it's just inevitable that one of the babies is going to start crying when I hold the other one, prepare lunch, use the bathroom, etc.
I don't know why it gets me so upset and this might sound awful but the yelling and crying is driving me crazy. Maybe this is ridiculous but how do you handle all the noise? Both upset kids and the noise that comes from having multiple kids running around playing happily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post
General noise doesn't bother me much, as long as everyone is happy. My Irish twins (7 & 19 months) take turns fussing and bawling nearly all dang day long. It makes me crazy, especially when they are bawling in unison. I am only one person. I can usually only meet one kid's needs at a time, and it's really stressful when there's another one bawling relentlessly in the background. God forbid that one of my older kids ever need something. I feel like I have PTSD. I'm always on edge, waiting for someone to explode. I feel like I have to rush, rush, rush ALWAYS. I can't relax.
I'm with you two. The babies take turns crying much of the day, & my 4yo seems to be constitutionally incapable of being quiet. Between, the running, singing, clattering toys, tv,crying,whining, etc., I spend most of my awake hours seriously overstimulated. I'm very introverted & find it incredibly difficult to be "on" all the time, even for my kids. I thrive on peace and solitude (yes, I know that's a bad combo for SAHMing, but I don't really have a choice) & find myself anxious & constantly on edge b/c of someone always yapping at me. And DD1 is 100% extroverted...not happy to go play in her room & needing to tell me & her sisters she loves us () about every 3 minutes, she is a mismatch for me & it's exhausting. I live for nap time & sometimes take my time in the bathroom just for a few minutes of semi-quiet.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
tkeegan
Registered Users
seller

Do you have carpeting and "softscapes" in your home? If not, consider more area rugs and adding pillows and cushions. They absorb a lot of noise. Also, look through the toys, perhaps there are noisy ones that you can put away in the closet and only bring out for loud play. My kids get into the pots and pans in the kitchen and the clanging drives me insane. If this happens to you, adding cabinet latches might help.

These won't help with the crying. We have that problem with my 1.5 yo. I just hold him a lot.
tkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

I have three boys ages 8, 6 & 2. My 6 & two year olds are autistic and SO noisy. When they don't get their way or something is bothering them, they scream instead of ask for help. My 6yo withdraws more but my 2yo lashes out, they drive each other crazy all day. Not only that, but they "stim" and make sounds constantly, clicking, humming, etc. It is never quiet in my house. I totally agree with the rugs idea. We recently moved to a bigger home with carpet and it helps so much to drown out the noise. I think after a while you really do grow used to it. I can handle everything but high pitched squeals. If they start getting on my nerves and loud/rowdy in the living areas (which I don't allow) I send them upstairs (which they're safe unattended with gates) or in the backyard. Our baby girl can sleep through anything. I almost went 2weeks past my EDD and I used to joke that she was too scared to come out because of the noise level, haha.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

I also wanted to add, one thing that really helps me is music. We don't watch TV or have cable (they are allowed video games with permission) so our house doesn't have any "background noise." I play music all day long, and depending on my mood, its either up beat or calming folk type music. My husband is a pianist and plays several instruments too, so if its not him, I'm playing Pandora all day long through speakers. It helps me so much with noise level.

Music and baby wearing SAVE my sanity!

Last edited by mamashhon; 05-04-2014 at 11:59 AM.
mamashhon is offline   Reply With Quote