Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Top tethering a rf convertible seat - HOW???

I see people saying they won't use a RF convertible without using the top tether, and I have to say I am not fond of all the movement from front to back on the taller convertibles.

How do you top tether them though? I can't find any spot in my vehicle, nor in either of my dds' vehicles, to top tether their seats. One dd has 2 radians and one just ordered a Britax Pavilion.

I just keep a Cosco in my car for when we do around town trips, though I am thinking of upgrading that to something a little nicer. I'd still want to tether if possible.

Advertisement

greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
AggieMindy
Registered Users
seller

I had a hard time finding a spot for my britax too. We finally used the front passenger seat floor bolt.
AggieMindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top tethering a rf convertible seat - HOW???

I guess I don't understand at all how it works. Do you just loop around something and clip it back to itself? Is there an extra strap or something that comes with it? I need to have some sort of understanding of how this should work...
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

They show you how to tether in the install videos for the radian. http://us.diono.com/videos

It is the third one down on the right side
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have been able to find suitable top tether spots for my RFing Britax convertibles in many different cars over the years. You want to move and lean the front seats all the way forward to get a good look. There is usually a plasic piece covering where the seat track attaches to the floor...it pops right off IME. You need to loop the D-ring strap around the bottom metal strap that bolts the front seat track to the floor (you also need to do it in a way that doesn't get in the way of the front seat track. Choose the seat track closer to the center console. In my DHs truck, the metal strap that attaches the center console to the floor makes a more convenient anchor...it can be any metal piece bolted directly to the floor.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
monkey29
Registered Users
seller

I had a tech do it the first time and they found a spot on the passenger's seat track. I always use that now. Some car manuals will show where to tether.
monkey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read all the replies carefully, but I wanted to make sure you knew that only a few convertibles can be tethered rear-facing. Most do not allow it. Diono, Britax, and Combi are the ones I know allow it, off the top of my head.

There's nothing dangerous about movement at the head of a RF seat. Some people argue that it's beneficial. Personally, I tether a RF seat that allows it, but don't choose my seats based on whether or not it tethers. I also wouldn't tether a kiddo under about 3 months old. In my mind, you want that movement for younger babies so there's not that quick stop.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
monkey29
Registered Users
seller

The OP said it was a Britax. When I had a tech inspect my carseat, which is a Britax, he said that Britax is one of the few brands that does recommend the tether rear-facing.

Good to point that out though, that not all convertibles should be tethered RF.
monkey29 is offline   Reply With Quote