Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
TrishB
Registered Users
seller

Re: Car accident. Practically new car seat. WWYD??

I was in an accident (someone decided to turn left on red!) and I had 2 Evenflo Symphony LX car seats in the car. 1 was 2 months old and the other was about 7 months old. I had to convince Progressive that even though I was thankfully able to drive away from the damage, they still had to pay for the new seats because Evenflo said to. The adjuster took the seats and gave us a check. I got new seats and no worries!

Advertisement

TrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #22
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Replace. But before you discard it, salvage whatever soft goods you can if you plan to get another Nextfit! If you can manage to remove the cover, harness, harness pads, infant insert etc I would take them. Since the seat was unoccupied I wouldn't have a problem using the harness on another seat if there was a puke accident or similar. If the seat had been occupied the harness would have to go too.

You should not sell or donate the seat. You don't know what the forces were on the seat. For example, if it was installed with LATCH the webbing would have been strained (even if the force were diminished by the seat being unoccupied).

I lent my Keyfit to another family and their car was hit while parked overnight (and was towed upon the adjuster's recommendation). I had to fight USAA tooth-and-nail to get them to reimburse me despite the manufacturer's stance that it needed replacement, with an extra layer of protection from California law. Eventually I got the money. Since I was buying another Keyfit, I stripped off the cover, harness, pads and canopy to use for the replacement seat. A picture of the "naked" shell was sufficient for the adjuster as demonstration that the seat was being trashed.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #23
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

I know you are all right, I just hate waste and like recycling. I do like the idea of stripping off the cover and the strap pads since the NextFit in my car is still OK. Meljc, I'm sorry that USAA gave you such a hard time, for some reason they've been awesome for me. I'll be given $250 to replace it and all I need to do is either fax a copy of the new car seat receipt or take a photo of the receipt and post it to the communication "wall" they have set up on line.
Thank gosh I checked Babies R Us yesterday, their 20% sale off all car seats ended that day, and they were gracious enough to not even have me be present in the store to get the in store coupon sale price (closest store is 1.5 hours away). I got a NextFit Zip, so after I get the insurance reimbursement it would have cost me about $10. Of course we just found out today we have to purchase another vehicle since his car will be scrapped :-(
gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #24
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Oh man that sucks. We had our car totaled after an accident. The damage was not that bad but they felt the car was too old to repair. Not worth it. And of course the value on the total wasnt enough to buy a new car. All because some jerk turned illegally, his bmw got fixed.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #25
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnappy View Post
I know you are all right, I just hate waste and like recycling. I do like the idea of stripping off the cover and the strap pads since the NextFit in my car is still OK. Meljc, I'm sorry that USAA gave you such a hard time, for some reason they've been awesome for me. I'll be given $250 to replace it and all I need to do is either fax a copy of the new car seat receipt or take a photo of the receipt and post it to the communication "wall" they have set up on line.
Thank gosh I checked Babies R Us yesterday, their 20% sale off all car seats ended that day, and they were gracious enough to not even have me be present in the store to get the in store coupon sale price (closest store is 1.5 hours away). I got a NextFit Zip, so after I get the insurance reimbursement it would have cost me about $10. Of course we just found out today we have to purchase another vehicle since his car will be scrapped :-(
I think this adjuster was just dumb, quite frankly. He claimed he had never heard of replacing a seat for such a minor accident. He required a copy of the original manual page stating replacement after any accident (PDF from the website was insufficient), a copy of my original receipt, a copy of my new receipt for purchase of the SAME seat (I got the magic but I don't think he noticed), a picture of the new seat, and a picture of the old seat with the harness cut (I removed instead). And somehow he's in the Phoenix office, not the LA office. I don't think he's even aware of California law on this topic OR he was hoping to avoid paying out. SO LAME.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #26
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check your local recycling center. Car seats often can be recycled. And yes, definitely strip the cover and use it as a spare. I am always so thankful to have a spare after spills or potty accidents.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote