Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Give me the low down on CDing a newborn!

We started using CD's a few months ago, thankfully my oldest PL'd. I use mainly PF and covers on my almost 2 yo and on the oldest at night. We tried a couple AIO's and pockets and I found the PF worked best for us.

Now I am expecting DD #3 in 4 weeks. So far, I havn't bought any "new" diapers, just off of FSOT here. I have 4 FB's, 9-10 Kissaluv's, several covers, and infant PF's on the way.

My main concern is about BF poo. Will meconium stain my Kissaluvs? Will the flushable rice liners work with BF poo? I do have a pack of sposies that I can use for the first few days if need be. Will rinsing the diapers in the toilet be good enough? My other DD's poo is fairly formed and comes off easily.

Thanks!! My nesting is kicking in

Advertisement

MistyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Give me the low down on CDing a newborn!

I'd go with prefolds and covers, the baby will need to be changed so often and these work best. i switched my dd to wonderoos at 3 weeks and they work awesome, a little bulky on there little bodies but look so cute!
you can use those paper liners or make yourself some out of flannel or somethign from walmart.
ive always prewash my diapers, i do this in the bathroom sink, after wetting them add a small amount of detergent and get a little soap going, rinse then toss into the pail. i use a dry pail, used to do wet but swutched and still have no problems.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No need to dunk BF poo. Just toss in the pail. If you get BF stains the sun will take them right out. Once baby is eating a lot of solids you'll have to dunk, spray, whatever.

My ds was done with merc in the hospital- he was in NICU for 9 days, but I've heard it doesn't stain.

I don't care for rice paper liners. Fleece liners are nice to keep the bum dry. Buy the cheapest fleece and cut (no sewing needed). I prefer light colored so it doesn't bleed/lint.

Congrats!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prefolds + proraps = newborn mama's best friends LOL

Buy some cheap fleece from walmart and cut into strips to put on your dipes if you are worried about meconium stains.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

See, I'm one of the prefold-challenged moms that couldn't get them to work on my newborn (I LOVE prefolds on my toddler, though.) My baby just kept pooping right out of them, no matter how I folded, Snappi'd or not. He pooped a large amount, though. I agree with buying cheap fleece to use as liners if you're worried about meconium stains; that's what I'm doing this time (I did CD a newborn before, but we used disposables for the meconium.) And whatever breastfed poop stains that are in the diapers should sun out pretty easily.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all!! I will have to get some fleece. Back to wal-mart!!

DH still isn't sold on CDing, he doesn't mind me doing it, but I have to keep sposies on hand the days I work. I am afraid he will really flip out in BF poo and CD!

I got 4 totes of baby stuff out of storage today! This little gal shouldn't need anything!! I just wish I could find a good used carseat now-ours is nasty
MistyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I use a combo of pfs and fitteds. DH uses the fitteds only when he changes her, so I try to use the pfs more. It's a simple system and it works great for us.

For the BF poo -- for us, it does stain the dipes, even w/the liner (I have microfleece I got from Joanns). Her poo soaks through the liner. The stains came out after one sunning though. I don't dunk the dipes and w/a presoak and extra rinse, all remains of BF poo are gone.

Menconium didn't stain our dipes or liners. I did find that a terry/sherpa type wipe had the best grip for getting menconium off her bum.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
roseselene
Registered Users

Meconium didn't stain any of our diapers that we used. I haven't heard of anyone having meconium staining issues. Now, BF poo stains, that is another story! Your question about liners working with BF poo -- I haven't used them myself, but I've heard some feedback that the really runny BF poo just soaks right through the paper liners, so I'm not sure that they would be worth it.
We used fitteds and covers for the first couple of weeks and then switched to fuzzi bunz. That worked well with us.
Amy