Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
happymamamia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Safest location in vehicle? So confused.

I have looked everywhere, and I am so confused about what the best setup would be for our vehicle. Lots of conflicting info.

In another month we will have a new little one. He will be in a basic infant carrier at first, but will transition into a convertible seat probably soon after. I have a 4 year old FF in a Pioneer 70 in the second row passenger seat right now. (he is a bit over 50lbs.) We drive a 2004 Cadillac ESV.

Confusion: FF ds in the back (3rd row) middle (if it fits) with new baby RF on either side? Second row safer in my vehicle for both? I just can't figure it out. Any links would be helpful, I have already checked out the car seat lady and it is adding to my confusion.

Am I missing anything? helps!

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
triplea1019
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Safest location in vehicle? So confused.

You want the child the least protected (the child FFing) in a middle seat. The middle seat is "safest" for a singleton, but you want the FF child there if you have multiple children in a car. (meaning where you can install in the middle of the bench seat, not 2nd row vs 3rd row).

As far as installing a seat on a passenger or driver side, the next best thing is whatever seat you can get the best install on. It doesn't matter which side, it doesn't matter 2nd or 3rd row. It matters that the install is the safest for both child and driver. After that, factor in safety of other passengers (will someone riding in the passenger seat eat dash if the seat is installed behind that seat), then convenience of location.

So, for you, I'd say FF child middle of the 3rd row for sure, then figure out where you can get the best installs and go from there for driver/passenger safety, and then convenience.

This is how it was explained to me on Car Seats for the Littles. If that was confusing, I'm sorry. I tried to make it as simple as possible.

Last edited by triplea1019; 04-28-2014 at 09:54 AM.
triplea1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
happymamamia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea1019 View Post
You want the child the least protected (the child FFing) in a middle seat. The middle seat is "safest" for a singleton, but you want the FF child there if you have multiple children in a car. (meaning where you can install in the middle of the bench seat, not 2nd row vs 3rd row).

As far as installing a seat on a passenger or driver side, the next best thing is whatever seat you can get the best install on. It doesn't matter which side, it doesn't matter 2nd or 3rd row. It matters that the install is the safest for both child and driver. After that, factor in safety of other passengers (will someone riding in the passenger seat eat dash if the seat is installed behind that seat), then convenience of location.

So, for you, I'd say FF child middle of the 3rd row for sure, then figure out where you can get the best installs and go from there for driver/passenger safety, and then convenience.

This is how it was explained to me on Car Seats for the Littles. If that was confusing, I'm sorry. I tried to make it as simple as possible.
Thank you so much! It looks like there is a tether attachment behind the 3rd row middle seat, so if his seat fits, that will work. I think for the infant RF I will have to do one of the 2nd row seats, because latch isn't available in the 3rd row bench. I really appreciate your help!!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

I'd put the 4yo in the center of the 2nd row for easy access
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
happymamamia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
I'd put the 4yo in the center of the 2nd row for easy access
I wish! Our second row is made up of two separate pilot seats unfortunately!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
an_aurora
Registered Users

Oh ok, gotcha. Then put one on either side.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Oh ok, gotcha. Then put one on either side.
I did both in the middle with the bucket seat on the passenger side. That way we could unbuckle ff DS and he could get out the passenger side too if we ever pushed on a street.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
tierneycyanne
Registered Users

i personally would do both in the second row for easy access since there is no "middle" seat, or older FF child in back center and then the RF younger child in the seat behind the driver
tierneycyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Technically the middle of the middle is the safest, because it's furthest from any potential point of impact. Everybody can't sit there, though, so you do what you can. Have in-date, well taken care of seats appropriate for the height, weight, and age of your child. Rear face as long as possible. Don't booster too soon. Use them correctly for EVERY drive. If you do all of that, your kids will be VERY safe, and the seating location won't matter so much.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
While middle of middle is technically "safest"you also need to consider your vehicles specs. For example many middle of middle seats don't have adequately spaces LATCH tethers and you have to install on one side or the other, in which case info with most convenient for you.