Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
Registered Users
Proper seatbelt install questions...

I'm trying to figure out a lap shoulder belt install. I know how to pull out the seatbelt to activate the wratchet tightening thing so the seatbelt locks. But even when it's engaged, it's still got like an inch of wiggle which translates to even more than that carseat wiggle. A carseat flopping all around isn't going to work for me. I don't trust the seatbelts to stay engaged.

So, locking clip? There is no anchor system. The only problem with the locking clip is that they are supposed to go at the very end of the seatbelt. But the end of the seatbelt to where it goes inside of the carseat is smaller than the locking clip. The belt path is so low and the seatbelt sits so high that there isn't a big enough gap to fit a metal locking clip.

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Proper seatbelt install questions...

As long as your seatbelt is properly locked (pull it all the way out, slowly, then feed it back in, you should hear it clicking) it will keep your car seat secure. But it can take a few tries to get the hang of it.
Make sure you get all the slack out if the lap portion of the belt by pulling the shoulder belt close to the buckle. Then from the other side, while pushing down on your car seat, pull the slack from the shoulder belt. If that still leaves you with movement at the belt path of the seat (and that's where you need to be checking) push down from a different angle and do the same thing.

ETA: if the buckle on the seatbelt is hitting the edge of the seat, that's probably what's causing the loose install. You can twist the female end (the piece you insert the buckle into) up to three full times, which will move it away from the edge of the seat and allow you to get the seat in tighter
Alison, mama to my boys: KidA (12/07) and KidO(06/10)

Last edited by GirlFriday13th; 06-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.
GirlFriday13th is offline   Reply With Quote