Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
EBF and return to period, low supply

Hey,

My period came back month 3. I couldn't believe it, I never spent more than an hour away from her, and very few of those. DS it was month 6 and that was after working for 4 months.

Since then we've had a bit of a problem. I remembered with DS that period week the supply was low and I was expected it. This time around it feels like the whole second half of the month is low. She is often unsatisfied. I feed her as often as she wants but she is getting frustrated. She wakes more at night too during the second half -- I always feed her whenever she wants.

Dd is recently 5 months.

Recently I started working 3 days a week. so we are apart of 3 8 hour days. At daycare they seem to need 12 oz for the day... and I bring home 7 during the second have of the month. The first half I usually get closer like 10oz, since she sleeps better I can also pump in the morning and get a few more oz and still satisfy her, but it only lasts 2.5ish weeks.

She is still growing fine and haven't had any issues yet in that area.

I very recently realized I need to do something. I just started taking Fenugeek and blessed thistle. I have the mother's tea. It's only been a few days but I don't know if these things can counter the hormones that are causing the drop in the first place.

I do have an okay freezer stash but not enough to last until the end of the year at this rate. I also feel so bad when she is so unsatisfied. I'm starting to feel/see like she doesn't want to nurse... she is popping on and off right at the beginning of nursing and is starting to only nurse well as she is falling asleep... and even then she clearly wants more. But I don't want to supplement either....

any thoughts? this really sucks. Will the herbs work in my case?

I normally would put off solid foods, but since she is old enough I've thought about starting them to help satisfy her vrs supplementing with formula or our freezer stash. Thoughts? Does that make since or am I not in the right head.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-10-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
thelilprincess
Registered Users

Re: EBF and return to period, low supply

I know the herbs works for some people.

Nearly 3-4 years ago I tried fenugreek and motherlove milk plus capsules and tincture (tincture worked a tad better but it's disgusting) and my supply still just tanked. I was supplementing by month 5 which I am sure didn't help. And I had a hard time pumping on a schedule at work.

Right now, I eat steel cut oatmeal nearly every day. I make a 3-6 serving in my rice cooker and divide it up into Tupperware and eat the leftovers for the following days. I drink water and Gatorade. My supply has been great. DS is one month today and I've pumped here and there for relief initially but now I am trying to pump 1-3 times a day (depends how often he feeds and what I have time for) to build my supply for when I go back to work (LC advised on Tuesday that I start building now).

My sister has a 4.5 month old (5 weeks early) and she just noticed her supply dwindling with return of period. She only pumped 35ml the other day. She went to her acupuncturist and I suggested oatmeal and Gatorade. She was able to pump 135ml yesterday off one breast!

Good luck. Hopefully the herbs or something else works for you!

Last edited by thelilprincess; 05-10-2014 at 08:19 PM.
thelilprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks

I have been eating my real oatmeal and that does really work for me. Unfort I don't really like it but I do keep it up too. I drink a ton of water naturally so that isn't an issue for me, around 100oz to a gallon a day without blinking.

Not sure i see the point of the gatorade over water, isn't it mostly sugar? I would be willing to to that but maybe smart water i guess or pedilite but not sure about gatorade itself.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Old 05-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know different things work better for different people. Personally I see the fastest results with dark beer. The Mother's Milk tea work okay-ish, but I see immediate results with beer. I try to time it by drinking it immediately after a feeding so I have the maximum amount of time for any alcohol to get out of my system. If I drink one around 5pm, I have way more milk when I'm putting my nurslings to bed. But if I'm only using the tea, I pretty much have to drink it all day, and the results are still less dramatic.

Don't know if it would counteract a hormonal supply dip (my only experience with a hormonal supply dip was pregnancy, so beer wasn't an option), but it could be worth a try.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

My supply dips drastically after I ovulate and then is low for the 2 weeks until AF starts. I started taking pysllium husk (the ingredient in Metamucil). See this thread here.

There was another supplement that helped as well-- a vitamin I think. I'llsee if I can find it.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
My supply dips drastically after I ovulate and then is low for the 2 weeks until AF starts. I started taking pysllium husk (the ingredient in Metamucil). See this thread here.

There was another supplement that helped as well-- a vitamin I think. I'llsee if I can find it.
Well thankfully I'm not the only one! Though my period has ended and while my dd is okay I'm still not pumping as much as I would like :-/ I will check into this thanks!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
Ophelialove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found a cal/mag supplement really helped. I would pump 1/2 as much during AF before I started that (I used to work) & I think that is why I got AF back then.

You can read more about it & why that might be helpful to take Cal/Mag: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...ments/#calcium
Ophelialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelialove View Post
I found a cal/mag supplement really helped. I would pump 1/2 as much during AF before I started that (I used to work) & I think that is why I got AF back then.

You can read more about it & why that might be helpful to take Cal/Mag: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...ments/#calcium
Thanks! I actually have both those suppliments here from when TTCing so thats easy