Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
MaterofJacob
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Swallowing air?

Whenever I nurse DS3 I hear the tell-tale clicking sound of him breaking suction and swallowing air. He also tends to be gassy and takes forever to burp because there's so much air to burp up. Any ideas on why/ how to prevent this? I've tried unlatching and relatching, I've tried turning his lips out, and I've tried pushing more of my areola into his mouth. I'm wondering if his top frenulum is too tight, but I'm not sure if it is or if that would make a difference...

Advertisement

Check out my IHA/ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...5#post16697295
MaterofJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Try a different position? Could be a loud Eatter like I know I I have heard some babies are very loud
Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Re: Swallowing air?

It could very well be his upper lip. Our 3rd did this and was terribly gassy until we had her lip and tongue tie released at 10 weeks. The "clicking" gradually went away after that. Check out this link for more info or pm me if you have questions . http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-d...-and-lip-ties/
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Also, check out the "flipple" technique for latching on youtube ...it helped us get a deeper latch, but I think that was after the revision.....may be worth a try regardless
Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

How old?
There was a lot of clicking/swallowing air with both of my babies in the first few months, but then it went away as they got a bit older. I have a fast letdown and seem to have a pretty fast flow even when not letting down, and it was hard for them to handle it when they were itty bitty.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
How old?
There was a lot of clicking/swallowing air with both of my babies in the first few months, but then it went away as they got a bit older. I have a fast letdown and seem to have a pretty fast flow even when not letting down, and it was hard for them to handle it when they were itty bitty.
Yes, we had this issue, too (in addition to lip/ tongue ties). "Laid back" nursing (google it) and pumping a bit in the mornings before nursing helped tremendously.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
MaterofJacob
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, Mamas! My midwife looked at it and gave me the number to a local dentist. She said it looks tight to her and he'd be able to fix it the day I come in. His frenulum connects all the way down to where his teeth will be coming in at. Like he would probably have a gap between his two front teeth from it...

Check out my IHA/ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...5#post16697295
MaterofJacob is offline   Reply With Quote