Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
tal1122
Registered Users

Getting baby to latch

hi all-
my DS had a tongue tie and at 3 days the lactation consultant said there was too much damage to continue BF and to pump and feed until the tongue tie was taken care of. We used a nipple shield, but baby didn't seem to really transfer much milk, felt like I was feeding him all day long when I used it! After the tongue tie was resolved, we had him clipped twice in an office because the first one wasn't enough and then found out after the second time it was clipped he needed to have it done while under anesthesia because they needed to cauterize after the cut. So in all he had 3 procedures done! I went to the lactation consultant a few more times, used all the techniques suggested, and he was very resistant. We believe it may have been due to all the procedures done. He would get rigid and stressed when we worked on getting him to latch. When baby finally latched it was too painful, found out I have vasospasm. Have been on the supplements, and even tried nifedipine but had to stop because it made me too sick. After 7 months of pumping and feeding I really want to try nursing again, but baby literally recoils when I try to nurse. We have gone to the lactation consultant, breastfeeding support groups, done lots of research, even did cranial sacral therapy to help relieve some of his stress and now I feel like he has been on the bottle for too long.
I have been starting to do skin to skin again and taking baths with him. Any suggestions? anyone been through something like this?

Advertisement

tal1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

Re: Getting baby to latch

Awww mama hugs to you. It didn't go on that long for us, but it took a LONG time to get my baby to latch. We worked with an OT and used a nipple shield. My baby used to recoil too Actually she would scream any time she saw my breast! It was half funny and half heart breaking.

Here is what I did (not sure what you have and haven't tried so sorry if this is all repeats).
-Lots of skin to skin and just chillin' with my boob out (I had tried to breastfeed her so many times unsuccessfully that she had a negative association with my boob)
- Once she got used to it I would pinch my nipple a few times to get the milk to come down (like literally make it start letting down) then I put the nipple shield on. I would have a bottle in hand as well and put a few drips from the bottle on the outside of the shield.
- I would try and latch her onto the shield. At first it didn't work. Before she could get frustrated I would immediately give her the bottle (to avoid any negative feelings about the shield). Sometimes she would latch for a second, not like it and pop off. If she wasn't upset I would try and put her back on (squeezing a little milk from the bottle on the outside of the shield), if she started getting upset I would give her the bottle.
-Eventually it got to the point where she would latch onto the shield. While she was latched on and sucking I would massage my breasts a little to make sure the milk was coming down since its harder with the shield on. I also pumped after every shield nursing session to make sure my supple stayed up.
-Once we finally got her on the shield (which took like 6 weeks) we started weaning her off the shield which took another month.

I'm really sorry your having to go through this. Good for you for continuing to try. A LOT of babies are able to eventually pick it up, so don't give up. But at the same time if your baby doesn't get it, know that you are amazing for trying so hard and doing everything you could.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
tal1122
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I have tried a lot of that, but need to continue. It's hard when baby literally recoils when I try to nurse.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Oh hugs. Sorry to hear. No advice.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry you're going through this.
The only things I would add would be to use slower flow nipples on your bottles and to try to get him to latch when he's sleeping (with nipple shield after letdown, etc). You may have already tried those as well.
I transitioned my LO from bottles to breast at about 1.5 months... not much like your situation, but I have been having recurring problems with oversupply and over active letdown. When I'm having issues with that, he'll get to the point where he screams & struggles every time my nipple is near his mouth. The only way I can get him to eat (other than bottle feeding) is when I feed him while he's sleeping or very sleepy. I've also had some luck by calming him down with a pacifier or finger and quickly switching him to the breast.

I read this story the other day, not sure if it would be helpful, but maybe there's a technique you could use: http://dou-la-la.blogspot.com/2009/0...sing-saga.html
apeeling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
tal1122
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it
Old 06-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

Ohhh the bottle thing, I forgot to say... We started using Medela Calma nipples. Our baby was just clamping down on the other nipples to get milk. With the Calma nipple they have to suck and create a suction which really helped.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

What a good mommy, so dedicated! I wish I knew an answer, but I don't. But I thought a word of encouragement may help (a tiny, tiny bit). You sound like an amazing mom for not giving up! Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk