Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #31
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ok, lay on your + preemie stories!

I am inspired and encouraged by all the positive stories! I, too, had a hard time nursing my 36 weeker. After a week in the NICU, he was a small guy (for me anyway) and came home at 6 lbs 3 oz. (born 6 lbs 13 oz) but just wouldn't latch on and suck. Part of the reason we couldn't take him home after he came off the respirator and out from the heat lamps was because he wouldn't take much formula/breast milk at a time (I expressed for him). After two weeks of trying and both of us crying during nursing, I just said "enough!" and gave him the bottle. I continued to use a breast pump, so he had my milk, but nursing was stressing us both out it wasn't worth it the natural way.

I hope the steroids will do their job for this one. I really hope I make it to at least 36 weeks but we'll see; my 3rd baby tricked us (lol) and made it to 39 weeks after stopping the trib. I had the magnesium and was on tributaline until 36 weeks but she just wouldn't arrive! (by that time I was wishing she would, the ctx. were painful!)

Advertisement

ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #32
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Did you try to schedule your preemie with breastfeeding issues or make it longer feeds???? I'm not criticizing, I'm tryign to give you a been there, done that bit of advice. My 34weeker came home BARELY on all nipple feeds. She was getting all bottles and had yet to nurse a complete feed(45cc's). We tried one feed iwth a bottle but it frustrated both of us so I stuck her skin-to-skin in the sling and nursed at will for 3 months. Basically she never came out, except for me to shower. She probably nursed about 5minutes at a time every 20 minutes. But obviously that spaced out over time and it became easier. She never stayed awake long enough for the 15minutes on each side stuff. And even to the very end of her nursing "career" she didn't take 15 minutes per side. She was a very efficient girl and took MAYBE 10 if I was lucky per side. Usually our sessions were done in 10-15 minutes tops when she was older(she nursed until 22 months). So those 5 minute sessions were good for her. I just made sure she was gaining well and threw the "rules" out the window. I suggest you do the same. The NICU is so regimented with their every 3 hours(though I recommend waking your preemie if she/he doesn't wake to nurse every 3 hours at least until she/he is showing that he/she can gain well and maintain) and 30 minute feeds that it's hard to be that strict at home. Just toss out the rules and check hydration and weight gain as your guides. Don't stress mama!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #33
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Now that I think and remember, he did have problems with staying awake as well during nursing. Seemed like I was constantly trying to keep or get him awake to nurse. I was paranoid about undressing him to (hoping the colder temps would wake him up) because he had had issues with regulating his own body temperature. That...and the fact that I had 5 other kids at home, it was just too much to handle. I figured that my sanity and his overall health both mental and physical was better than trying to unsuccessfully nurse. I had no problems with my last child (full term though) and plan to nurse this one provided all goes well and she's old enough to be able to (no latching issues or boob rejection, lol)
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #34
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our triplets were born at 31 weeks and 6 days by emergency c-section. I started labor at 26 wks but we were able to stop it and so I was home on bedrest until delivery. When we got to the hospital on d-day I was 9cm and didn't know it!! Needless to say...we got delivered in a hurry.

The babies were never on a ventilator or any kind of respiratory support other than DD occasionally had some O2 for her desats while eating. They were considered "feeders and growers". They were 3 lbs 15 ozs, 4 lbs 1 oz and 3 lbs 11 ozs each. They are now 29 lbs, 30 lbs and 27 lbs. They will be 2 next Saturday. I can't believe it!! Where did the time go???
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #35
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

great stories!

All 5 of mine were born before 36 weeks . . .

My first was born unexpectedly at 32 weeks at 4 lbs 13 oz. came home a week later. off oxygen in 32 hours!

my 3rd was born 36 wks at 5 lbs, 4 oz. my first midwife birth. She was fine. We found out a little later she had malforned kidneys which may have been why she was so tiny.

the others were a bit larger and all did fine. Had preterm labor beginning around 25 weeks with most of them. Midwife told me to eat more protein & I was able to have my 5th pregnancy without brethine to stop labor!!!

DH's cousin had a baby at 20 weeks (or so). Drs told the momma to deliver the baby & let it dye. She refused & put herslef on strict bedrest as long as possible. He was born a little over 1 pound. He's 6 now & going to school. Some health issues, but doing great!

Another story from a gal at our old church . . .. her cousin was born around 1 pound on Father's Day. The pastor stopped the service, headed everyone to the hospital & prayed on the baby. 8 days later the baby went home!

Hang in there! Fear will only make things worse! I will keep you in my prayers!! Great idea to fill yourself with positive stories! KEEP READING THEM!!
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #36
BarbieAnn79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1....DS: PTL at 2 8 weeks.. ish? took meds.. bedrest.. carried him to 36 weeks..Jakob was 5 lbs 12 oz. 18 inches. needed a lil blow by O2 to pink up... had mild jaundice and otherwise fine- we were borth discharged 5 days later.. uncomplicated vaginal birth... he was out in 6 pushes and i tore REALLY bad.. ( got a bunch of stitches)
2....DD: PTL at 22-23 weeks, mild bleeding due to placenta previa... it was mild enough to self resolve- and it moved by 32 weeks... bleeding and PTL and early dilated to 2-3 cm at 33 weeks... bedrest... then at 34 weeks dilated to 6.... went into active labor at home and felt her head while i used the bathroom ( i was 6 cm and effecing rapidly) rushed to Dr. and dr confirmed i was 6 m Cm and that hard slimy thing was , in fact her head and I was in fact in active labor- i got across the street to main hosp. as fast as I could, they hooked up internal fetal moniter due to mild heart decels ... and 90 minutes after I got put in a bed and after only 5 pushes, out she came, at 34 weeks 4 day..Lauren was 5 lb 7 oz 17 3/4 in. I tore with her too... but only 4 stitches... she had Mild resp. distress- oxygen hood and nasal canulla for 6 days,, IV's.. Ng tube ( breastmilk) for a week.
then breastfed ( no bottles). BAD jaundice, and after 10 days got to come home.
3..DD: PTL at 23 wks, bedrest, tocolytic meds, and at 26 weeks PTL and a positive fetal fibronectin , contx. didnt respond to meds... transferred to hosp . with level 3 nicu.. stayed on bedrest in trendelenburg (head down feet up )position almost whole time- cervical incompetance and funneling, then at 28 week, i had pPROM, then a chorio infection, then meconium staining and fetal distress,, - i got steroid shots and antibiotics and drugs to stop labor- but baby was too sick inside and having bradycardia (heart decels) frank breech,there was cord entangelment too -they did an emergancy classical c-section- ( iwas horribly sick from the chorio and it took forever to heal) baby Danielle was 2 lb 9 oz 15 inches...- she was really sick and had to be resusitated at birth- BAD Resp Distress Syndrome ( RDS), had to be intubated immediately, stayed on vent for a month, fought off her chorio infection and sepsis, and a few other infecton, had jaundice, reflux, typical apnea, bradys, desats in Oxygen, weaned off vent to CPAP.. then cannula... came home at 65 days old, 4 weeks before due date at 4 lb 12 oz and 17 inches.. off oxygen and on full breastfeeds.. had reflux really bad though, and had to have a feeding tube for 12 months.. had some delays and a few resp. infections had eye issues ( ROP, petinoptahy of prematurity) and now wears glasses.... but otherwise ok.
4. DD.... incompentant cervix dx'ed at 3.5 months into preg.. bleeding, funelling, premature thinning of cervix.. PTL at 22-23 weeks... baby was small for gestational age too... at exactly 26 weeks i had complete pPROM & was 3 cm and 90 Effaced and started going into labor again...I was medi-vac'ed to BIG hospital with leel 3 NICU... was on magnesium and other labor stopping meds.. bedrest.. steriods. antibiotics, then at 27 weeks baby began to emerge feet first ( footling breech) guess she was tired of having no water in her "swimming pool!" ...so an emergancy classical c-section was done... Kirsten was 1 lb 11 oz 12 inches.
was on the vent first, then CPAP for a LONG time,.. had multiple infections including NEC & sepsis,SEVERAL blood transfusions, reflux, ROP stage 2, hyponutramnia, RDS and BPD (chronic lung disease) FTT, brady's apnea, desats... went home at 85 days old, at 39 weeks gestation..at 4 lb and 15 3/4 inches on nasal Cannula ( which is what she is still on for supplememental oxygen.. she is wearing it in my avi)& breastfeeding and at 4.5 mos got pnumonia from her reflux 9aspiration.. then secondary strep. pneumonia)and was in PICU for over a month on the oscillator/vent/nitric oxide in a coma...almost died. LIVED.. had 2 healed broken ribs diagnosed that we never knew about from brittle bones from Osteopenia of prematurity-She had tests done that showed delayed gastric emptying chronic cosntipation ( gastric dysmotility), reflux ( duh!) aspiration issues, swallow issues(dysphagia), Had to have reflux surgery ( a fundoplication) and a GJ tube (at 7 months).. her ROP resolved, she still has BPD and also had reactive airway disease, she is about 95% tube fed, cannot drink liquids except breastfeed smalll quanities- i am still pumping for her tube feeds, she has multiple food allergies, she had global developmental delays including speech, she also had Celebral palsy / low muscle tone. ( atonic/hypotonia diplegia).. and craniosynostosis/trigonocephaly (premature fusion of sutures in her skull) oral aversion/sensory issues, and FTT.
I got my tubes tied during my c-section with #4.

Last edited by BarbieAnn79; 09-09-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: tons of typos and added a few details
BarbieAnn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #37
BarbieAnn79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You mention 20 weeks, or so... I am assuming that is counting from conception and NOT gestational ( from last period) 20 weeks is not viable.. even 22 weeks is VERY questionable...and 1 lb would be HUGE for 20 weeks... the youngest surviving preemie is 21-22 weeks or so and she was under one pound (which would be appropriate for her gestational age..) so did you mean that her WATER broke at 20 weeks? that would make more sence esp. since you talked about her staying on bedrest...Not trying to be cynical or anything, but 20 weeks (based on LMP.. so 18 weeks from conception) and weighing a over a pound and surviving is ,... well,... impossible.

Regardless, I am glad that her once 1 lb baby , whatever the real gestational age at birth, is doing well now.
( I too, had a 1 lb baby)
I am not doubting you, as it NOT your baby or birth story, but I am thinking there are some gaps in your DH's cousin's story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebytrudi View Post
great stories!

All 5 of mine were born before 36 weeks . . .

My first was born unexpectedly at 32 weeks at 4 lbs 13 oz. came home a week later. off oxygen in 32 hours!

my 3rd was born 36 wks at 5 lbs, 4 oz. my first midwife birth. She was fine. We found out a little later she had malforned kidneys which may have been why she was so tiny.

the others were a bit larger and all did fine. Had preterm labor beginning around 25 weeks with most of them. Midwife told me to eat more protein & I was able to have my 5th pregnancy without brethine to stop labor!!!

DH's cousin had a baby at 20 weeks (or so). Drs told the momma to deliver the baby & let it dye. She refused & put herslef on strict bedrest as long as possible. He was born a little over 1 pound. He's 6 now & going to school. Some health issues, but doing great!

Another story from a gal at our old church . . .. her cousin was born around 1 pound on Father's Day. The pastor stopped the service, headed everyone to the hospital & prayed on the baby. 8 days later the baby went home!

Hang in there! Fear will only make things worse! I will keep you in my prayers!! Great idea to fill yourself with positive stories! KEEP READING THEM!!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #38
BarbieAnn79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same issue with my 4th DD... I was 27 weeks by LMP, and 3 wks behind on sono...
She was 1 lb 11 oz and 12 inches which fell right in the 24-24.5 weeker range, although according to LMP , I was 27 weeks 1 day.. I too was still BF, (#3) and actually,I didnt stop BF #3, (Danielle) till #4 was a month old- we were just seperated too much while I spent time in the NICU - as #4 , Kirsten ,was there for 3 months..
(and it was 90 min away) I had plenty of milk , as I was also pumping for Kirsten but Danielle sorta self weaned. because nursing sessions became far and few between... She was 31 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal6 View Post
Abigail:
Some confusion about dates. I was nursing Anna when we conceived and only had one short AF between them. Doc was going by those dates when sono consistently showed me to be 3 wks behind. .
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #39
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here's his care page . . . it used to have his gestational age on it, but I don't see it at the moment . . .
http://www.caringbridge.org/mn/hels_anthony/

he was born at 1 pound 5 oz in May and was due in Sept. 6 years to remember details! I think her water broke at 20-25 weeks. I do know that drs are not obligated to save a baby before a certain gestational age & she just made that date so they had to do something when he was born.

They are distant relatives in Minnesota, we live in Michigan. I don't know all the details of exact due date, expected due date, last cycle date, etc. All I know is he was a very early, very tiny baby and he survived!
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote