Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Krissycola89
Registered Users

Should I be worried about preterm labor?

I'm 30, almost 31, weeks pregnant. For the past 3 weeks I've been sick with loose bowels and nausea and inconsistent braxton hicks and random back aches. I seen the doctor on Tuesday and everything seemed fine. The last 3 days I've been more nauseated and my lower back has been aching more. Today I had contractions at 5:44 EST, 6:00, 6:20, & 6:44. I'm going to monitor them a little longer and see if they stay fairly consistent and if so, go to the hospital to get checked out. Am I being overly paranoid? What was your experience with preterm labor? TIA.

Advertisement

Krissycola89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Stouffers3
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would go in. Better to be safe then sorry. I went in a few times with preterm labor after episodes like that. They'd give me shots and send me home. Problem was no one ever checked my cervix. The last time I went in they did a fetal fibronectin test. It came back negative so they assured me I was fine for at least 2 weeks. I went back a few hours later in full blown labor and had my baby.
Bruce (12/09, born at 33 weeks), MC 01/14 Missing my Angel
Expecting our Rainbow in April 2015
MTHFR, Fibromyalgia
Stouffers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had my first child at 30 weeks. It was New Year's Eve night when my back started aching. Ached all evening and I thought nothing of it, the next day I kept having contractions(thought they were Braxton hicks) but they would stop when I laid down. By the time my midwife was able to check me I was 4cm dialated, 100% effaced and in full blown labor. She was born just about 24 hours after my back ache started.

Next kid was VERY nearly born at 23 weeks. I don't mess around with preterm labor and always. Say better safe than sorry. I'd get checked out again.

Bedrest also probably wouldn't hurt for a few days to see if it calms things down.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Krissycola89
Registered Users

Re: Should I be worried about preterm labor?

Thank you for the replies. I did end up going into L&D yesterday because the contractions still hadn't stopped and I ended up vomiting once and they were feeling stronger. They had me drink a ton of water right away in case I was dehydrated and shortly after, they checked my cervix and it's still closed. They didn't seem overly concerned about the contractions at first because they didn't seem to be making much of a pattern at that point but after like an hour and half they started becoming a lot closer together and on very regular intervals so they gave me terbutaline to stop them because they said the type of contractions I was having were likely to make me start dilating. It stopped most of the contractions. After monitoring me for about another hour or so with only another 2 contractions after the medicine kicked in and scheduled me for an extra doctor's visit this week with orders to drink plenty of liquids and to rest and come back in if anything gets worse again. My lower back still aches and I'm still nauseated, but I've only had a contraction once every hour or 2 so far today so hopefully nothing starts back up again.
Krissycola89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did they check your cervix via transvaginal ultrasound? That will tell them a lot more about what's going on than checking by hand. My doc checked me by hand lady week and thought my cervix was 4-5 cm and ultrasound showed it to only be 3cm. Shortening of the cervix is an indicator of preterm labor.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote