Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

Can anyone tell me about their experience with this website?

I am planning to do before five in a row with my son within the next year or so, and fiar will be our main curriculum until he is 8. Math on the Level is my chosen curriculum for math supplementation.

Then when teaching him to read, I am going to start out with sight words and the **** and Jane books before moving into phonics. I really don't want to drill phonics, just use it as a bit of an explanation of how our language works and a tool for reading unfamiliar words. Is Starfall very into drilling? Does it teach kids through video or give an explaination to the parents to help them instruct the child?

NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
My ds goes to public school, but starfall is part of the curriculum. I haven't spent too much time on it, but my ds can get on it and work his way through the lessons without guidance. I paid for extra access or something on it on addition to what he is able to access ay home through his schools website
Wife to Nick since 7.2.05, Mom to Cameron Nicholas since 10.16.06 & Dominic Adam 4.7.09 and Lucius Robert 10.2.14
TinyHineyDiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Starfall

I've been using it as a supplement for years to teach my kids to read. Excellent resource. Just click on a few of the lessons and you'll see exactly what it is. You start learning letter sounds in the ABC section. Move along through the "Learn to Read," "It's Fun to Read," and "Now I'm reading." It starts building those letter sounds into words. Some is short cartoons. Other parts are interactive books. If they click on a word they can't figure out it will help them sound it out. It introduces new rules along the way then has interactive books and games to reinforce the rule. Don't forget to click around on the picture for extras
beth7033 is offline   Reply With Quote