Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

MFW K or HOD

Help me pick!! I have a 5 year old daughter who is advanced for a K and I'm stuck between buying MFW K or HOD Little Hearts (the Language Lesson). MFW has phonics included. She is very creative and artistic. Im using HOD BIGGER for my 3rd grader. So which one do I choose??
1. HOD little hearts (K) is way cheaper on eBay like more than half price
2. Maybe it'd be fun using 2 curriculums from different companies instead of all the same?
3. With MFW K, I feel I could include my 3 almost 4 year old better in all the activities.
4. Saving $$ would be nice since I'm buying BIGGER
5. HOD seems a little more advanced and can be considered 1 st grade as well which would work for us.
6. Always wanted to try MFW!!
Maybe I could do HOD K this year and start my 3rd daughter in MFW K next year?? It'll be a fun change? I like to group the girls together for activites and learning things together as much as I can. They can all do the butterfly garden, Ant hill and MFW activites like the cooking next year. Or should I just take the plunge and buy it this year and reuse it next year?
Thanks for any tips especially if you've used either or both.

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Re: MFW K or HOD

I have used both MFW K and LHFHG. I've also used other levels from each publisher. I personally prefer HOD materials. I find them to be more open and go and also a bit meatier than MFW.

The part I didn't like about MFW K is that the phonics is interwoven throughout the entire program. That may be a benefit to some, but I felt it hindered us as I couldn't move through phonics at the pace my ds needed without slowing down/speeding up everything else as well.

HTH!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

I have heard MFW K is more along the lines of preschool, so some have used that and then used LHFHG the following year as it's a little more advanced. I'm unsure though, I haven't used MFW though I've always wanted to try Their kinder program!

Were doing LHFHG and Bigger, like both very much my kids are 5.5 and 8!

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
teettrav
Registered Users
seller

We loved MFW K! It is very hands on. I did have to supplement some though, as I think it was on the easier side.
teettrav is offline   Reply With Quote