Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Hybrid fitteds

Why are they so expensive? From what I understand is they have a layer of fleece so why does that make them so much more expensive?!

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hybrid fitteds

I think it's just more the fact that they are usually wahms making them. So they don't usually buy in bulk for supplies and the labor cost for even one is pretty intensive. Let alone that the normal model for a retail product is to have expense be 50% if retail price. That mean even if she made min wage and it only took 1.5 hr to make plus the materials which cost $10-20 on average(this doesn't account for the cost of the apparatus for snaps and such. Or the cost of boutique hard to find prints) the cost to make would be about $17-27 for a plain nothing fancy hybrid. Now double that price so the wahm can actually get a profit and you're at $34-54 if you want fancier you pay more. I don't question the cost I just know my budget doesn't allow the purchase of said diapers new right now and thus am super grateful for mamas willing to sell their lightly used ones for a steep discount .

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Do they even work? My local FSOT group is comprised of almost only these and I have been so confused why people even use them or can you really use the without a cover under clothing?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm super curious myself I just grabbed two little fancy pants to try out ill post back tommorrow as I just washed them

Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
SelinaT
Registered Users
seller

I've made my own hybrid fitteds and they worked pretty well coverless at home without feeling damp on the outside. But I wouldn't go coverless out with clothes over. It's some what waterproof in that it doesn't get soaked and wet like a fitted. It also depends if your baby is a heavy wetter. I liked that it was more breathable than with a pul cover.
SelinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #6
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

The WAHM part totally makes sense, I've seen used ones on the local FSOT for $40+ and it makes me wonder what they cost brand new. There's no way I could afford enough $40 diapers to cover two babies. I've thought of making some but don't like the idea of not being able to wear them under clothes (being in alaska and all lol...)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #7
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Hybrid fitteds work awesome under wool for going out. I find they last longer than just fitteds for sure, both under wool and cover less. I wouldn't use them and regular clothing alone though.

If you have regular fitteds you can add a fleece liner to between the tongue snap in insert and the shell. I've converted a few regular fitteds to hybrids this way. I use a heavier fleece than what I would use for a stay dry liner (ie polar fleece) and shape it sort of like a rounded 'T'. So wider at the top (to confirm to the front belly panel some) and then skinner down the back (so it lays nicely under the insert and between the shell).
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama2005
The WAHM part totally makes sense, I've seen used ones on the local FSOT for $40+ and it makes me wonder what they cost brand new. There's no way I could afford enough $40 diapers to cover two babies. I've thought of making some but don't like the idea of not being able to wear them under clothes (being in alaska and all lol...)
We live in Nunavut and love them under wool in the fall/winter/spring! And some trimmer ones fit well under a PUL cover with clothes over. Our favourite under snowsuit combo is hybrid fitteds and wool as they don't restrict much movement and last a long time.
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
bhunt479
Registered Users
seller

I have a couple wahm hybrids and don't feel they are much different than regular fitteds. You can go coverless around the house, but definitely need a cover with clothes. Thanks for the tip about adding a fleece liner to make other fitteds into hybrids, great idea with wool too!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Ok used the two I have today and he pooped in the first 10 minutes lol. So really got to use one. He wore it for 2 hours then fell asleep in it and when he woke up it only felt cool not damp on outer. I changed him and it was super heavy so he peed a lot. I'm a fan. This kid pees through to where the fitted wets my clothes cover less in one pee in a goodmama.