Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Cartertrinity1007
Registered Users

Hand sewing newborn stash

Hello mommies. I was wanting to know if anyone has hand sewn
Their child's diapers before. I don't have a sewing machine like I did before with my last children cloth diaper days. Now I'm pregnant with #3 , 4 years later and finding myself having to start all over again with diaper buying/making. I have no income at all right now. So I'm going to up cycle some diapers and wanted to get started. 6 months to sew a good stash with what I can find and create, including wool covers, flats, inserts, and some breast pads too. Please anyone have any tips. What things did you have a hard time with, what made it easier. Maybe even post a pic of your creations, I'm most worried about function. I'm going at this somewhat blindly. But believe in myself I can do this. I have to. Any comments or help. Best materials. Most will be made from fabric and clothing from goodwill. Any tips with cuts and fits. Hand sewing these. Going to work on finding a friend with a sewing machine.

Advertisement

Cartertrinity1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
pixie310
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hand sewing newborn stash

I Have hand Sewn alot of fleece covers and its really not that hard at all. I've also done inserts. For the fleece soakers I used Katrina soaker patern and another one that snaps for the newborn stage but I can't remember what the pattern is called. It took me a while "like a whole day for one" but it is posiable and I have used them for a year and still going strong. You can also make no sew fleece covers. And for inserts I used micro fiber towels and sewn on micro fleece to one side and a peice of a t shirt to the other so I could use it againts the babys butt. I've read alot about its impossibable to make diapers by hand. But Don't believe them!!!! Cause its really not that hard just time consuming. I'll try to get a picture to show you mine but I'm not sure when it will be..
Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Cartertrinity1007
Registered Users

Thank for your response. I have plenty of time on my hands lol. Fleece is a great option I didn't think of as well.
Cartertrinity1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I'd stay away from flannel due to the fraying. Stick with mostly t shirt and interlock material. And fleece like pp said.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Plover T. Larone
Registered Users

Yeah it seems like no sew t-shirt flats and goodwill receiving blanket flats would be good. Maybe a friend with a sewing machine would let you use it? There is a wool soaker pattern that is just from one triangle that works well and is minimal sewing. Try googling Frugal bum sweaters to find instructions. In my area we have a children's clothing exchange with free kids stuff and there are always tons of receiving blankets. Maybe online or in person you could find a free source for those? People are always getting rid of them post newborn stage. Good luck, I'm sure you will pull it off. Sounds like a fun challenge in a way!
Plover T. Larone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Plover T. Larone
Registered Users

you might be interested in this thread:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327943
Plover T. Larone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Kim at Dirty Diaper Laundry has some info on her website about making no sew t-shirt flats and fleece covers. I know there are a couple PDF downloads on there and I believe a video or 2 on her YouTube channel. The PDF docs are all about cloth diapering on a very minimal budget and hand washing. Let me know if you can't find it on her site and I'll link it when I'm on my computer.

Also, if you can knit or crochet wool covers may be a good option. You can unravel them and make the next size up (with a bit of extra wool) as baby grows.

Are you in Canada or the US? There are organizations out there that will donate used cloth to families who can't afford to buy their own. That may be a great way to supplement a Han sewn stash and get some OS PUL covers too.

Last edited by Jcurrie; 08-07-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can fold tshirts into an actual fitted diaper. I cannot remember the thread or website where I learned it but it was super simple. I like mens white cotton undershirts because they are more stretchy. The size of the shirt determines the size of the folded diaper.
Another option, of course, is flour sack flats and receiving blanket flats which I like to fold into a mock prefold and use.
Or, if you want elasticized legs, you could probably pull off sewing a fitted out of receiving blankets and leave it pocket style to stuff with whatever you want (trifolded washcloths work well for nbs).
And fleece or upcycled wool or hand knitted wool (if you know how) would work.
Keep an eye on lottos on here as well as the FFS. Stuff pops up on there regularly.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Ive used regular Tshirts, folded so that the sleeves are like wings that wrap around waist then pin or snappi. It gave an awesome, trim absorbant snug fit because of the stretch of knit fabric. Fleece pants are great covers over these. You could find Carters or other brands at thrift store for about 1$. Then you dont even need to sew, unless you cut some into shorties and want to hem them.

I made wool breastpads from felted sweaters. Cut them big so that they line entire bra that way they wont show lines through tops. They work best lanolized and will eventually mold to the shape of your breast. If theyre well felted they will not leave lint nor will they need to be stitched
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote