Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Going (long) past your due date

I was a 42 weeker (and both of my brothers were past their due dates but I have no idea how far) and my mother had a perfectly healthy, natural delivery and I was a perfectly healthy baby. She said she allowed them to induce my little sister at 40 weeks and she had to spend a week in the hospital because her little lungs just weren't ready. I think some women and babies just need a little more time!

Advertisement

s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I always go at least a week over. Luckily, there is a pattern but it caused lots of worrying with the first.

By the end I do every single thing listed that will get things moving along.

I've been trying EVERYTHING! Massage, chiropractor, walking, exercise ball, pressure points, clary sage... She seems to be gearing up for her birth but just not quite ready

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Hang in there! My 3 (so far ) were 3, 6, and 11 days past their due dates, and they were perfectly healthy. My labors with the last 2 were both under 5 hours with no meds- definitely made up for the long wait! I complied with NST's with my last baby, just for peace of mind. Of the 5 Dr's in the practice, it was the oldest Dr (who delivered me, 19 past my due date) who was the most comfortable with letting me " go". Some research I did while waiting suggested that 41 weeks was closer to mark for gestation periods than 40 weeks. ... So just do your own research and stick to what you are comfortable with .

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I was a 42 weeker (and both of my brothers were past their due dates but I have no idea how far) and my mother had a perfectly healthy, natural delivery and I was a perfectly healthy baby. She said she allowed them to induce my little sister at 40 weeks and she had to spend a week in the hospital because her little lungs just weren't ready. I think some women and babies just need a little more time!

It definitely seems like medical inductions without obvious medical reasons have become much more common now whereas when we were babies doctors were used to waiting. I'm sure there are many reasons for that. Thanks for sharing your stories with me

Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHome Sewing View Post
Most of the "scare tactics" doctors use to try and convince you to induce are not founded or backed by actual science. To my knowledge, there are very few medical cases where negative consequences arose from a child being in utero "too long" past their "due date"

My third was 11 over, 41+4. We knew exact ovulation date. She was a tad over 8. She was completely DONE being inside. I never pushed with her, ever hear of fetal ejection reflex? She birthed herself and was awful pleased about it

I know you're right but man it's hard to ignore when people keep asking how long your doctor will "let you go" and the doctor is warning you about your big baby and how your placenta can't last forever I know I need to just take a deep breath. It's hard.

My kids were 13 days over (the 9.4lb'er... Induced @day 12 over) and 8 days (the 10.2 lb'er who was IMO easier to birth and came with much less coaxing!! )

that's amazing about your baby birthing herself

Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I too heard this "placenta cannot last forever" thing. Anyone have a link for that? My understanding is a placenta is an organ grown just for baby and consistently supplied all nutrients, baring some serious medical concern. Therefore wouldn't the placenta function as long as the nutrient supply was sustained?
I took classes to be a childbirth educator but I do not recall this specific question being addressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #16
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went 42 weeks. By 41 w 5 d I was crying to my midwife scared dd might not be ok.. She called and made an app for me to have acupuncture the next day. My app was at about 2 in the afternoon and my water broke at 11pm, dd arrived around 8:45 the next morning... Maybe look into accupuncture, I th I no the app cost me $25, and they won't do it unless your past edd👍...
Good luck!! Your lo will be perfect!

Oh, I had 4 sweeps in the week and was walking my dogs every day, had sex, nothing worked until the accupunture

Sent from my SGH-M919
Old 08-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #17
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, + dd was only 8 lb 5 oz and I know I had the right calculations on my ovulation👍. She came out bright eyed and bushy tailed😄

Sent from my SGH-M919
Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
Zpatrol
Registered Users
seller

all three of mine have gone past their due date, with the longest being our youngest at 42 weeks 2 days. It was very tiring and I wasn't sure my mindset could have let her go much past 43 weeks. Every day feels like a week!! But all my babies have been anywhere from 7.8-7.14 so I'm confident they just needed that extra bit of time.