Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
1healthylady
Registered Users

Angelica Tincture for expelling the placenta

I had a thread on here a while back about the retained placenta I had with my first. A few mamas suggested using an angelica tincture for the next time around, so that's what I'm doing. I'm making my tincture. I got the root (Angelica archangelica) the other day and will start the tincture this week with 80proof vodka.

Any suggestions on how much I should take/how long after the birth I should take it? I really don't want to go through another manual removal! TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Red Sonja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Angelica Tincture for expelling the placenta

I usually have a problem with retained membranes and the last few times my midwife gave me some angelica tincture under the tongue to help get everything out. I don't remember exactly when I took it, but it was within 20-30 minutes of giving birth. It was just 1-2 dropperfuls. I'll be having some on hand this time around too, since I know I'll probably need it.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had trouble with a long placenta delivery with my first 2, the second was worse but no retained... with my 3rd I did angelica about 10 minutes after delivery, if I remember right, just 1 dropper full. I know the "general rule of thumb" is placenta out within 30 minutes after birth to prevent complications, so I kind of went by that. It worked great and I had no issues with delivering the placenta soon after.

I know several midwives who swear by having mom visualize placenta coming out, and discussing ahead of time that birth isn't complete without the delivery of the placenta.
nisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
elienai
Registered Users
Formerly: Desert_Rose
seller
seller

My sister and I have both used it with excellent results.

I make all my own tinctures. Half a jar of dried herb then fill to the top with 100 proof vodka. Store in cool dark place shaking daily for 6 weeks. Strain and bottle in amber bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
elienai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
MamaNolley
Registered Users
seller

I was just looking into this topic today! my last two births, it took 40-45 min for my placenta to come out (which my midwives say os "ok" because the come out whole and under an hour) but the second birth, my contractions AFTER my daughter was out became 10Xs worse. so anything i can do to speed up the time it takes my uterus to expel the placenta, I'm going to do.
I was primarily looking at using clary sage topically directly after the birth. also looking into using 5W in the weeks leading up to edd. and now off to research the angelica!
thanks for the info!
blessings!
MamaNolley is offline   Reply With Quote