Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Re: Beginning of homeschool journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWIFE87 View Post
I never thought about buying on here! Good idea. I've searched obvious places like Rainbow Resource and Christian bookstores. And amazon. I haven't checked homeschool share.org hmm should do that lol
http://homeschoolclassifieds.com/ is another site for used curriculum. Even ebay

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #22
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies! It's funny that you all mention FIAR, because I just discovered it the other day. I think what I'm going to do is a mixture of BFIAR and WFA making sure I add in some Bible time. I like that they both have crafts and cooking and just fun activities instead of tons of strenuous learning. There is also a lot in each that I think my 17 month old will enjoy. I'm just not too sure what to do as far as math goes. My 4 year old really enjoys addition. We are still working on number recognition, though, from about 10 up.

SillyEllie, I think it's a great idea to not mention that we are doing school. My girl is stubborn and doesn't like things that aren't her idea. I'm still planning on making up a schedule, but it's really just for me. So I can stay on track for what I want to accomplish this year and make sure I have all the supplies I need each week. I traded in some books to a used book store and got about $42 in credit, so I'm hoping that will help with the books the library doesn't have.

I'm toying with the idea do looking for some ETC and HWT used on here. Even if I don't use it this year I can use it next year.
Emberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama, I am just starting to homeschool my elementary aged kids but have always home educated my littler ones. But I don't do anything structured- all of life is learning for them. No curriculum, nothing like that, and all of mine so far have been reading by 5, love learning, writing, doing natural math activities, etc. I have a white board that I write on every day, a message, a list, a letter, the chores of the day with pictures next to each item. They start "reading" because they want to know what everything says! When they are about 4.5 I start doing more with letters, sounds, words, starting with the words they see around them the most: names of family members. We make little books with photoss of them doing different things, and write a familiar text on the bottom of each page.

I say all this to say that while you can certainly buy a lot of curriculum and build in a lot of structure, I really think that at 4 and 1, it isn't necessary for their learning. All the natural hands-on activities that we mamas do so intentionally, with a little added, will do much more. Let it all feel like play, which it should be, and it will be so much fun for you and for your littles.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #24
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! The two curriculum that I'm planning on adapting to my needs are both pretty much reading aloud (which we already do) and then doing tons of activities. They are both pretty sensitive to just letting little ones be little and explore the world around them. At this point I'm mostly wanting a curriculum or something like it to help me with my days. I'm afraid winter will come and I'll get lazy and we won't do anything meaningful, so at least this way I'll have a whole list of ideas to try on hand. I'm hoping to have all the supplies for these things ahead of time so whenever we want to do one then we can.
Emberly is offline   Reply With Quote