Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Thoughts on posting baby on Facebook ?

My account is set to private, but I know even that isn't probably good enough. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. I draw the line at nakey kid photos and do swimming pictures on a case by case basis. I think it's perfectly OK to not post pictures of kids on FB and I think we all have FB friends who agree. I'm a sucker for kid pictures, so I might wish that you did, but I certainly understand your reason not to.

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not everyone that I am close to can " just come over and see the baby" My freind in California and my Friend in SC. (I live in the midwest) are never going see my kids.

I use FB. I have it set to private and very limited "friends list" FB is the only way some family and close friends even know us. It is the easiest way to keep in touch with DH's family. Way better than in the beginning when I had to upload and email pictures or print them off and mail them.

FB was the easiest way to keep tabs on/contact with my BIL who spent a year in Afghanistan.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I go overboard on this and I know I do but Momma is allowed to suffer paranoia overboardias on one thing, right? LOL My children's names and photos are not posted on Facebook. It doesn't have anything to do with my childrens' lack of permission because I do have their permission. It has everything to do with their safety. I just started an Instagram account and I have only close friends and relatives on there and I do post pictures of my kids on there. This was mainly to make myself realize that the sky wouldn't fall if they were on the Internet and also to help them learn about Internet safety.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I selectively post pics. My privacy settings are the most restrictive, we have many extended family members across the country who love seeing pics but can't visit often. I don't post embarrassing/compromising pics and no one I know does either. :shrug: Once they are older if they ask me to stop or not post a specific pic then I wont. I ALWAYS ask other people before posting pics of thier kids and respect thier wishes.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
sarahnforrest
Registered Users

Another one of my concerns is the fact that Facebook owns those photos . They can do whatever they want with them . Not that they would but it's still giving them the power over your child's photos.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
sarahnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnforrest View Post
Another one of my concerns is the fact that Facebook owns those photos . They can do whatever they want with them . Not that they would but it's still giving them the power over your child's photos.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Their your kids. You have real concerns. Do what you feel you need to. Other people see it differently, that's fine too. As long as everyone is respectful of other people's boundaries these things wouldn't even be issues, kwim?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to think the same thing. Then my husband (who works in IT) asked me why. Why is it so important to not put pictures of my children online? What is the potential danger? Is that danger real or imagined?

Once I was able to fully answer those questions, I decided my fears were unfounded.

Now, out of respect to others, I will not post other children's pictures without permission from their parents.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #18
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
We never post pictures of our kids online anywhere. We don't have a real Facebook dh has a fake one for work and we don't do any social media (other than forums where we never post pictures or private info). I think your fears are very valid ,dh has seen the dangers of social media include everything from stalking, harassment, physical attacks, robbery and kidnapping. There is no such thing as private on the internet , just more difficult to find but if someone wants to they can get it. One of the first things they told dh after he was hired was he should close his FB and any other social media (we didn't have any) , I don't know anyone at the department that has a FB page. It just ins't worth it to us to take the risk.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
We never post pictures of our kids online anywhere. We don't have a real Facebook dh has a fake one for work and we don't do any social media (other than forums where we never post pictures or private info). I think your fears are very valid ,dh has seen the dangers of social media include everything from stalking, harassment, physical attacks, robbery and kidnapping. There is no such thing as private on the internet , just more difficult to find but if someone wants to they can get it. One of the first things they told dh after he was hired was he should close his FB and any other social media (we didn't have any) , I don't know anyone at the department that has a FB page. It just ins't worth it to us to take the risk.
I find this fascinating as there are several community officers here that have facebook pages. They post pictures of their kids just as much as anyone else. I'm not actually friends with any of them and I can still access the pictures.

I have a family member who is in law enforcement and he not only posts pictures but adds check ins and locations. I'm friends with him though and don't know how tightly he has his page locked from non friends.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post

I find this fascinating as there are several community officers here that have facebook pages. They post pictures of their kids just as much as anyone else. I'm not actually friends with any of them and I can still access the pictures.

I have a family member who is in law enforcement and he not only posts pictures but adds check ins and locations. I'm friends with him though and don't know how tightly he has his page locked from non friends.
That is interesting. I just assumed all departments would be similar but obviously not. All of this was discussed as officer and family safety. They also advise you to petition to seal your records. Even if dh didn't have the job he does I wouldn't be comfortable with posting things but certainly his job only adds more concerns. It is a decision every parent has to make based on their comfort level but for me I have just seen too much to ever feel safe with it.