Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Anyone use Heart of Dakota?

I just came across Heart of Dakota curriculum and I'm thinking about trying it for my pre- k and kindergartner. Anyone use this and have feedback? Is is straightforward and easy to adapt if I need to? I have math and phonics already taken care of...really was just looking for science & history, but I like the idea of an all- inclusive curriculum. Tell me what you love/ don't love about it!

Advertisement

JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone use Heart of Dakota?

We will be using Beyond Little Hearts from HOD this year for History, science, devotional and language arts. I will be using CLE for math, reading and Bible. I have been working on getting everything organized for the year and I am getting very excited about this program! I love that I can add in my own reading and math without changing much of the program. The history is very rich and the literature choices are excellent! Everything is already planned out too which is a plus for me since I also have a toddler to deal with during school time. There are Facebook groups dedicated to each HOD guide that are a great help and support!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

We tried HOD pre-k. I loved the hands on approach but I found that my son is in different levels in different subjects. Full package curriculum doesn't work for us. I loved that it didn't require a bunch of special purchases for experiments etc. We had most everything at home. My son really seemed to think it was a fun program though.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergy0625 View Post
We will be using Beyond Little Hearts from HOD this year for History, science, devotional and language arts. I will be using CLE for math, reading and Bible. I have been working on getting everything organized for the year and I am getting very excited about this program! I love that I can add in my own reading and math without changing much of the program. The history is very rich and the literature choices are excellent! Everything is already planned out too which is a plus for me since I also have a toddler to deal with during school time. There are Facebook groups dedicated to each HOD guide that are a great help and support!
I have never heard of the facebook groups...that sounds helpful!... how do I find them? Do I need to be invited?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummandherboys
I have never heard of the facebook groups...that sounds helpful!... how do I find them? Do I need to be invited?
I'd love the Facebook group info too we are using little hands to heaven this year!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Did you all buy the curriculum new or used? It seems to be hard to find used right now...
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB
Did you all buy the curriculum new or used? It seems to be hard to find used right now...
I bought mine on eBay but I only saved about $15 (the whole package not just the guide) so I kinda wish I had bought it new. I haven't seen hardly any used copies though

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

I'm on their Facebook pages for Bigger, LH and their buy/sell group as well. They are excellent resources. Moms even post their homemade worksheets they make for the unit studies, supply lists, vocabulary, etc. It's super cool. They share pictures of their kids working and other resources to help. A lot of moms ask questions and you can read the answers. It's helped me a lot. I first googled Heart of Dakota and found their email type support group and joined that for about 6 months. Then found out about the specific guide facebook groups and the buy/sell Heart of Dakota group. I got my Bigger for $107 shipped total that inc. teacher manual, science and history and some worksheets she had made. The LH package I got for $95 and I got the teacher manual, history, science and all the readers which was an amazing deal!
I think if you had Facebook you'd just search heart of dakota and request to join.

Last edited by Designsbybequi; 08-10-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We bought a couple used sets last year with the intent of using it. I really wanted to love it....I just didn't. I found that my kids are sometimes at different levels and so that was an issue. I also felt "ruled" by the boxes . I do know plenty of people who love it however.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
KaliShanti
Registered Users
seller

I'm trying it this year with my 4.5 yr old girl. First day was today. We will see!