Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can't decide on math curriculum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKylie View Post
I don't even have the foggiest idea what discovery based means. Fill me in?
it means the child is figuring things out (with your guidance) as they are given a new concept versus the traditional model of you giving them information to process and then complete a number of examples for practice or drill. For example, they use the rods to learn the concept of numerals. Instead of just memorizing that the word "one" stands for the symbol "1" they learn that the 1 cm. rod (the smallest one) is "1". So as they learn to count, add, subtract, etc...there is more of a conceptual understanding of things. To me, it feels more like playing games and or working on puzzles with the kids. My kids love building, making patterns, and generally playing w/ the rods, so they see it as a fun thing to do. If you are looking for something traditional though, this would not be it. Some people find it too out of the box.

Advertisement

3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will be using math on the level. It is a complete curriculum for kindergarten through 8th grade, and children of various ages/maturity can be taught together. But I am going to buy the math u see manipulatives to make it more hands on. I am not buying the MUS curriculum because they are aligning with the common core. I might also pick up some extra practice books from Barnes and Noble if I see the kids needing extra practice in any area. Math on the Level only does 5 problems a day.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We used Singapore standards edition and my son scored the highest on his standardized testing in his class on his first semester back in private school. We home schooled for 5 years. I am very happy with the foundation he got with Singapore math. He is at the top of his class now. When I started homeschooling he struggled with math at first, but it totally paid off.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
beth7033
Registered Users

I love Singapore, but Miquon is by far my favorite. Here are a few videos to give you an idea about discovery based learning and math labs. The whole Education Unboxed website is great.
beth7033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Angel_7971
Registered Users
seller

Following
Angel_7971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
KaliShanti
Registered Users
seller

We've done math u see from pre-K with my oldest and he is in sixth now. I cannot say enough good about it! Love it.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

MUS has aligned with CCSS. I personally wouldn't choose MUS as I know of many who have said that their child had gaps in their knowledge in later years. Others beg to differ, I don't know though, I haven't used it!

We use Singapore and love it. I wish I had learned that way!

Singapore is as hands on as you want to make it. The HIG has a ton of ideas for hands on learning.

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #18
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Math for a loving education is also great fun!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #19
schlis85
Registered Users
seller

We love Singapore!
schlis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #20
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used Singapore for Kindergarten and 1st grade. Switched to MathUSee Alpha for 2nd grade. 7 year old DS is doing great with MUS. He was getting frustrated with Singapore. We do watch the videos, they are super short. We will be finishing up Alpha this month and starting Beta. Because he had already learned some addition and subtraction we were able to get through some of the lessons in just a day or 2. Great thing about MUS is that you can stay on a lesson as long as you need to for your child to get it. They provide plenty of practice pages and you can print more from their website if needed, so there is no reason to force your child to the next lesson before they are ready.