Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
amjbmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: school lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_mama06 View Post
theres no reason in him starving if he can eat a healthier meal made by mommy IMO some school food is just and not healthy at all!
actually you'ld be suprised at how far school lunches have come since we were kids At least in my kids school district there is a HUGE focus on eating right and they get the kids involved and it really shows in the school menus. I joke to dd that some day I just might show up at her school for lunch since she eats better than I do!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Keli10801
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof7 View Post
money is not a huge issue here, we simply qualify because of our family size!

I just sat down with him and we read the whole menu for the month and there are 8 days he WANTS to get hot lunch!! All the other days have beans or salad and he just wont eat those things
If he is interested in the main course, why not let him get the lunch, but pack the little extras as fill ins? On hot dog days, since he will eat the hot dog but not the rest, pack pudding or applesauce, or fruit, or whatever. We do not get free lunches, but we find ourselves doing this very frequently. My son will want the hot dog, like today, but will not eat the green beans or the tater tots, so I pack whatever fruit or veggie and dip he wants, and a pack of crackers or something to fill in the gaps. i figure it will be great come winter when I want him eating a warm lunch at school, and so far the system is working.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
yep, us too. I always do breakfast with my kids because I think it's a great bonding and grounding time in the morning to reconnect before the hectic rush to the bus stop. BUT I appreciate that if I don't have the money or time to give her something, she will at least get cereal and milk and she won't go hungry. My question is this for the op though: isn't there a second or third choice????? In my daughter's school, there are 3 choices. There's the meal of the day(today was chicken fajita with shredded cheese and salsa, dinner roll, tossed salad, fruit, and milk), a second choice that rotates weekly(this week is ham and cheese) and a third choice that is always the same(used to be PBand J but because there's a kid with severe peanut allergies in the school now, they are doing a chef's salad plate). So there are three options that should work for everyone. The second option is always a deli type sandwich which my daughter doesn't like at all(turkey and cheese, bologna and cheese, etc) and she LOVES salad so she would do that all day long everyday if I let her. I let her look at the menu and if there are say, 3 days she doesn't like the options, I let her take lunch from home 2 times and have the salad on the third day. I try not to let her have chef's salad everyday because she won't eat the meat and only the lettuce and cheese so that doesn't fill her and she's hungry an hour later.

also, isn't there a list of things on each day? Like even if he doesn't like beans or salad, he still has a fruit cup or carrots or whatever and the main entree???? Could he refuse something? My daughter says they are allowed to refuse one thing at each lunch and they must get everything else although they are obviously not forced or coerced into eating it. I guess the school found that it was a great way to get them to try new things while still letting them feel like they have a choice.
as far as i know there is no other option....I suppose he could refuse the items h didnt want but in my recollection the trays are premade when the kids get them...
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #14
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keli10801 View Post
If he is interested in the main course, why not let him get the lunch, but pack the little extras as fill ins? On hot dog days, since he will eat the hot dog but not the rest, pack pudding or applesauce, or fruit, or whatever. We do not get free lunches, but we find ourselves doing this very frequently. My son will want the hot dog, like today, but will not eat the green beans or the tater tots, so I pack whatever fruit or veggie and dip he wants, and a pack of crackers or something to fill in the gaps. i figure it will be great come winter when I want him eating a warm lunch at school, and so far the system is working.

That is a GREAT idea!! maybe we will look again

thanks
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote