Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Yeast and Cloth?

My 9 month old recently had to have two rounds of antibiotics to clear up a nasty ear infection. Once we finally got that cleared up, she showed up with a TERRIBLE yeast diaper rash. We are applying prescription anti-fungal cream, giving her probiotics and trying to get her back on the right track... but in the mean time it is my understanding that it is best to not use cloth? My doctor is a huge cloth diaper proponent, but recommended going to sposies until we got it cleared up. This is not the end of the world... but I thought I would reach out to see if other mamas were able to get yeast cleared up and stick with cloth? Did you have a special wash routine if you did? We are currently using sposies but every time I throw one in the trash I feel guilty!

Advertisement

gabby's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
lilnamcuz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Yeast and Cloth?

We are dealing with yeast right now and in disposables too. I keep wanting to use cloth but don't want to cause a bunch of wear by bleaching then every wash for a whole month ��.
lilnamcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 AM   #3
ketchupqueen
Registered Users
seller

Water over 140 degrees kills yeast. No need for beach if you have hot water. Some evidence shows that prefolds may not even need that: http://realdiaperevents.org/archives...nitial-results

Yeast does like a moist environment, so going diaperless as much as possible can help. Coconut oil can also help smother yeast when applied to skin.

Last edited by ketchupqueen; 02-06-2015 at 04:09 AM.
ketchupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:12 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I clothed one in cds but not prescription antifungal. We were ok I think. The hot water lots of soap & rinsing in our front load. I might have used disposables but few cds were used still though too.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using DS Forum
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use cloth during yeast on both my kids. I use to have a huge routine to avoid using bleach to kill the yeast (I'm a huge anti bleach person) then I realized that a small amount of beach would be easier, cheaper, and put less stress on the diapers (washing with hot water / sanitize now that is wear). So I just deal with it when I have to.

I have a FL and I put a small amt of bleach in a yogurt cup and fill it the rest of the way with water. Then during my prerinse (I use the soak cycle on my machine) I poor it in a few minutes in and its still spinning the diapers around. I do it this way because my bleach dispenser only gets dumped during the first rinse of a normal cycle and I want way more wash out time than that.

If you check the yeast links in my sigy it'll jump you to older post I have made where I talk about my other washing adventures and yeast treatments if you are interested.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-06-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Ds1 had yeast once. I continued in cloth, but I use flats, which are super easy to clean, and I used very hot water in my wash, with enough soap and a small amount of bleach. I didnt have any issues with recurrence.

I nannied for a kid and the parents switched to AIOs. The child was constantly getting yeast infections really badly. The diapers werent getting washed thuroughly, (they were used to washing PF) so it was becoming a revolving cycle. Using sposies it would clear up, then back in cloth and the yeast would return. The yeast was still in the diapers!

So, if you do go to sposies until it clears, be sure to disinfect your stash before returning to cloth. (since she was wearing the diapers when she got yeast, those diapers are now contaminated)
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

1/4 cup bleach in the hot wash cycle
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote