Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Question for tandam nursing mammas

I am a BF advocate, but stopped Bf both DD before 1 yr. I just wonder how you maintained good nutrition for yourself, BF baby and in utero baby. I have a BS in nutrition and am seriously considering becoming a LC, but this is one thing that I have a hard time with. Were you ever worried that the older BF child would take too much from you to healthfully support your unborn child. I also assume that once the new baby is born that BF is mostly for the infant and older child is second, how do you handle this situation, and did you discuss this matter w/ the older child?

I am uneducated on this subject and am looking for your input. Thanks mammas for answering my questions. I hope it isn't too personal, and if so please don't take offense, I don't mean to offend. You can PM me if you are more comfortable. I am new to this board, so maybe this is forward of me. Thanks again.

Advertisement

Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
mommypooh
Registered Users

Re: Question for tandam nursing mammas

I nursed through my pregnancy with my son, I nursed maybe 3-4 times in a 24 hour period. I never felt drained or worried about it. I understood it to be baby in utero gets first dibs on the nurtirients, and then breastmilk then mom, so of anyone it would be me who was shorted and my son was 9 lbs 3 oz, so i don't think it affected him. once baby was here I was tandem nursing in the hospital, one on each side, and that continued up til he was a month or so then she cut back and was fine with a couple times a day, and then when DS was 6 months old I quit nursing them together it was too much, and it was my DS first then DD got her turn, we are now down to 4-5 nursing a week with my DD, and my DS is 7-8 times in 24 hours. So not to bad. I just talked my DD through each change we made and she did just fine. Now when I went to only nursing one child at a time, I did still let her sit on my lap then we moved her to sitting next to me and then her sitting on the floor playing until she was ready to make the next change. There has never been a fight over the boos in this house.

I just never worried about nutrition unless I was feeling poor and then I thought that adding some extra nutrients always seemed to fix me right up. Feel free to ask me any questions as I am not shy.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DJ was 15 months and still an avid nurser when I got pregnant again so this is something I gave a lot of thought to and did a fair amount of research on. Two resources that I found very interesting and informative were http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html and www.nursingtwo.com. There is also a book called Adventures in Tandem Nursing that has some wonderful information, both research based and anecdotal. In the end, DJ wound up weaning himself when I was about 4 months pregnant and I was more than ready for that break. We've talked about the new baby and the fact that boobies are for babies and he's a big boy now and all that, but I'll know soon how much of that is really sinking in. I have known a few mamas online that said their toddlers wanted to start nursing again when the new baby was born...I can definitely see that happening, but I'm not really sure how I feel about that at this point. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing. I have had an increase curiousity since I have joined this forum. So many of you make it seem so easy, and I wondered how you got there. I appreciate your willingness to share. Thank you also for the links. I also read about it on LLL site. On there site it says that around 5 mo pregnant your milk supply may drop off. I wonder if that is part of the reason your son self weaned, just a thought. Thank you again for sharing, and helping me be more informed on the topic.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
Loveon
Registered Users

Cool Re: Question for tandam nursing mammas

I nursed my now 23 month old through my entire pregnancy and tandem nursed for over a month before my 23 month old decided that he didn't want to share with my now two month old. He pretty much self weaned allowing the baby to have at it. Now, there's still occasion that he wants to return to the boob,but he wants to comfort nurse more than nutritional nurse.
Loveon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:35 AM   #6
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

I actally nursed all my kiddos when LEna when born..all three of them

I'll write more later, I need coffee before big posts lol but the main thing I wanted to say is that your body gives nutrients to the baby first, the child second and you third. IT's really just important that you eat enough so that YOU don't get deprived. You also make milk that is nutritionally tailored for the youngest child, so some older ckids might not like the fresh nutrient dense milk that your body makes for a new babe..that's why so many kids stop nursing when a new baby is born. Mine didn't care a bit, though. Our bodies are SO fantastic!!!!!

OH, and go for the LC....I did about a year ago and I'm so happy I took the plunge!

Anyway, I have more info for you, but I gotta go have coffee first