Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Ctdmom
Registered Users

Sanitize wool covers

Any tips on sanitizing wool covers. I just purchased used covers from a local mama. How do I clean them so I feel safe using them?

Advertisement

Ctdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
hibiscus869
Registered Users

If you wash them with some wool wash, like Eucalan, I think they'd be fine. You can't wash wool in hot water or it will shrink it all up. If it were me I'd just let them soak in some water and Eucalan for an hour, that would be sufficient I'd think.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Ctdmom
Registered Users

Re: Sanitize wool covers

Can I add TTO or GSE to the wash?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What kind of covers are they, and what is the condition? I usually give them a good scrub with a wool wash bar and then rewash and lanolize. If they were interlock, then I usually put them in the washing machine on warm gentle with detergent and oxiclean and then rewash and lanolize. With a knit I am more careful about the washing machine, but I still would do an oxiclean soak in the sink if the cover needed it.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Ctdmom
Registered Users

Imse vimse wool
Loveybums crepe
Loveybums interlock
Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctdmom View Post
Imse vimse wool
Loveybums crepe
Loveybums interlock
put em in the washer and warm gentle cycle with detergent and oxiclean. They will come out squeaky clean Don't put them in the dryer though. You will need to rewash and lanolize after the washer strips out all the lanolin and ickies.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Ctdmom
Registered Users

Thanks mama, helps that you broke it downfor me as this is my first wool experience
Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not one to normally buy used cloth diapering. I don't often. I never thought I would buy used wool, but I did! So I researched how I was going to sanitize it (here mostly) and I thought I would share what I did.

I got 2 loveybums crepe wraps. First I washed on delicate with baby clothes on warm with detergent and a little oxygen bleach. Then they were pretty dry after the spin cycle so I rewet them in the sink and squeezed excess water out by hand them put them in the microwave with the inside center on the top. I googled how long to sanitize a sponge in the MW (to kill 99%) and got 2 minutes so I microwaved them that long. They were HOT coming out so I set them to cool for about an hour so not to shock the fibers when I wash. Then when they were room temp I washed like normal and they are now set out to dry.

I'm happy with this process. Not sure if it can be used with hand made knit or crochet wool so not sure if I was go there, but only time will tell.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-09-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
rory098
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any updates on the care of your wool for sanitizing? What worked and what didn't? I bought used wool and it had some staining, but soaking seemed to help ease the stains out.
rory098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stand by more process above for interlock or wraps like lovelybum or IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I got 2 loveybums crepe wraps. First I washed on delicate with baby clothes on warm with detergent and a little oxygen bleach. Then they were pretty dry after the spin cycle so I rewet them in the sink and squeezed excess water out by hand them put them in the microwave with the inside center on the top. I googled how long to sanitize a sponge in the MW (to kill 99%) and got 2 minutes so I microwaved them that long. They were HOT coming out so I set them to cool for about an hour so not to shock the fibers when I wash. Then when they were room temp I washed like normal and they are now set out to dry.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote