Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
tgalicia
Registered Users

Hybrid vs All in two vs covers

I have tried reading up on the differences in Hybrid, All in twos, and covers. For the life of me, I can't seem to understand the difference. Can anyone explain what the difference is in the three and how they are used? All help is appreciated. I'm a first time mom of a 4 month old and a first time cloth diaperer.

Advertisement

tgalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hybrid vs All in two vs covers

I think a cover is typically just PUL (the waterproof part). So it is mostly used with fitteds, flats, or prefolds. A hybrid and an all-in-two is basically the same thing if you ask me, but the difference might be that a hybrid has disposable options. For example, the Flip system by cottonbabies is a hybrid system - you can buy several different types of inserts, but they have a disposable insert option, making it a hybrid between cloth diapers and disposable diapers. I could be wrong about that, though. An all-in-two is basically a 2 piece diaper, which makes washing easier than an all-in-one, but diapering easier than say flats/prefolds etc, because the pieces are basically ready to go. The insert is typically held in the cover somehow, either under a flap or snapped in, so that once put in the cover, it's like a ready to go diaper. I'm not really sure on those definitions, though.

If you have any shops around that sell cloth diapers, or know anybody who uses them, your best bet would be to go and take a look at the actual diapers. A lot of people who seriously use cloth diapers have several different types on hand because they tried different things to see what they liked or they like different things for different situations, so if you can find someone like that in your area, they could maybe show you the differences. We use almost all pockets at our house, but we have flips, all-in-ones, fitteds, and prefolds on hand, just because when I started I didn't know what I liked. I started out with prefolds and covers and a few aios, but was more sore/tired after having a baby than I expected, and DH said this isn't going to cut it, so we went out the day we got home and bought some pockets from craigslist, and over time I've decided I liked pockets best. I haven't sold off everything else yet, though, because I don't hate the rest, so I use them in a pinch or in different situations (fitteds are nice for night, all-in-ones are nice for grabbing straight off the line when I need to change a diaper and didn't get any pockets stuffed yet, etc).

Also, I would just buy a few diapers at first, buying more of what you find you like as you get into it and find out what works for you. Good luck!
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hybrid vs All in two vs covers

Look at YouTube videos. It's easier to see how different diapers work then just looking at a picture. There is a video called "Types of Cloth
Diapers (And How They are Used)" that I watched numerous times before actually starting cloth diapers.

ETA: El said it all pretty well. So YouTube was just helpful tip.

Last edited by kmrotski; 06-20-2017 at 07:49 AM.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote