Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #11
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pockets and flats are too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookymama View Post
I found it! Thank you so much! Linking it here in case someone later needs to find it: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1223723
I'd suggest using this method versus they method you're suggesting. If I understand you correctly you are basically making a prefold size but as your LO grows you won't be able to adjust the length. If you sew them the long way you can adjust the length as your baby grows. I did something similar to it. They will quilt a little bit like a prefold but not as much because they are likely so well prepped.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd choose B. I didn't do a lot of flats, but when I did pockets I preferred to stuff with (usually) an organic cotton and microfiber mix of inserts that I don't believe are made anymore.

That being said, I really don't think that saves all that much time from folding and stuffing. I think any time saved would be minutes a week and that may or may not be enough for you to invest either time or money into sewing the flats or buying new diapers or inserts, on top of hoping everything still works as well. If it were me in your place I'd just find a way to add a few minutes to the day. I have six kids and CDed four out of six including two at once. I totally understand not feeling like you have time to sit and stuff/fold 70 diapers (BTDT!!) but finding a few minutes sounds easier than changing a routine that's working well for you.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #13
Pkupstx
Registered Users
seller

I love to use flats as inserts in pockets-I would definitely use what you have by sewing only one edge of your flats (the smallest edge top/bottom) so you can grab and shove in quickly but they can be loose to wash and dry better as thinner layers. And if you don't feel like stuffing, just lay on top. I do this sometimes and its always been fine. *Cotton of bamboo flats work as they quickly absorb but this wouldn't work well with hemp flats as they absorb a lot but much more slowly. This would work if you are on the largest setting and planning to stay there...or you'd need to resize at some point. Also, I find folding much easier than stuffing for some reason. Good luck!
Pkupstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #14
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Maybe consider the OsoCosy stay dry prefolds and keep your pockets as covers. Keep the flats bc you may go back to them after a while. The PFs aren't that expensive. They're stay dry so it would be less steps to just lay into the cover than to stuff.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #15
Mothersoup
Registered Users

I was just brainstorming a solution for folding all my flats. I don't want to sew mine because the more seams, the harder to clean and they loose some of their versatility until I get out my seam ripper.

But...I got to thinking about the folding boards that they use in retail to neatly fold clothes and keep them perfectly stacked. I'm thinking about making one of those for folding flats. You could make it with cardboard or foam board and duct tape to the dimensions that fit your fold. Super cheap/free solution that might expedite the process a bit.

This is a very recent thought, so I am still working on the design. If you do this, let me know so we can compare notes.

Last edited by Mothersoup; 01-31-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Mothersoup is offline   Reply With Quote