Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what's a reasonable amount of clothes for a little girl?

We have a moderate 40's-70's coastal climate but travel to warmer places a few times a year.

I've heard stories of little girls that will refuse to wear anything but little pink dresses.

I think little kid clothes are so cute and fun, but we really need to keep a good reign on our possessions because our space is shrinking and we have extreme dust mite allergies so everything has to stay very clean.

My boys are happy with graphic T's, hoodies, sporty sweats and the occasional pair of trendy jeans. (One son has flair and always wants bright pants and argyle sweaters, but usually I can just keep him down to a few statement pieces that he loves and mixes with his regular clothes, lol.) On the other hand my little girl has dresses, tutus, vests, blouses, tights, leggings, etc. on top of her Tees, sweats, jeans, socks, shoes.

What would you recommend for a basic little girl's capsule wardrobe?

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: what's a reasonable amount of clothes for a little girl?

We shoot for ten-ish outfits for all ours, regardless of gender.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We shoot for ten-ish outfits for all ours, regardless of gender.
I second "ten-ish".

ETA: I have all boys though so maybe I'm the wrong person to be commenting.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a bad habit of buying cute thrift store dresses, they have entirely too many :P
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD doesn't wear too many dresses, at 4 it doesn't mix when early pottying well. So she generally will have 1-3 that grandparents generally buy. Since not many dresses not many leggings/tights. I think 10 tops would be pretty boring. I wash their clothes about twice a week but they like some variety. She also has a change of clothes in at preschool and in the going out bag (old diaper bag) because I don't like packing them for each day.

I would say DD has about 20 tops and probably about as many pants. A gymnastics outfit. I couple of dresses and leggings. For ease my kids also have a set of short sleeve shirts for last spring to early fall and a set of long sleeve for winter. That does help change it up for them too since their whole set of shirts up and changes and if they don't grow too much usually around half the old set comes back out the next season with some new shirts. Same for shorts/pants.

She would be fine with less pants, but right now she is growing out of one size but isn't out of all of them yet so I have the next size also in the rotation as the old ones rotate out. So during this phase we can have more than maybe fully needed because I like to get all the use out of the old we can but we have the new so might as well be using them. It also might depend on how often your kids change from getting dirty or whatnot.

Disclaimer: We aren't a minimalist family but we try not to have excessive stuff especially clothes.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We aim for 5 per kid, plus one for church, and they also have accumulated some suits/fancy dresses that are stored. We homeschool, so they have 2-3 "home clothes" outfits, 2 "public" sets, and when it's not winter they have a set of "work clothes" for when getting dirty is pre-meditated. Really though their home clothes get filthy until the ground is frozen...hence the need for "public" clothes just for going to library, etc.

Big disclaimer: they actually all have a ton of clothes. We've been blessed with hand me downs and since I don't shop often, whenever we're at the thrift store I get anything that does or will fit and meets my standards. There are a dozen or so big totes of sizes we aren't currently using, plus a large closet in one bedroom that is packed full of what does fit now, but is extra. This closet is off limits, but used to resupply as things get worn out/out grown. I'd really like to get rid of all but the current 5-per-person stuff, but I'm always afraid if I do I won't be able to replace it at the time we need it later on. My other problem is I know anything that has gone through my DC will get thrown out by someone else, can't even donate it, so I feel like we need to use it all the way up or it will be wasted. Not sure how to deal with that!
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ooh! good! Thank-you for the helpful thoughts!

I hadn't even considered that dresses make potty training trickier! Are skirts kind of a pain for potty training too? Or maybe not tutus but sporty skirts kind of work like shorts?

I think ten-ish is a good place for me to start. I might be even able to keep her things in the desk we are using instead of having to find a dresser for her for another year if I keep it down to ten.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My girls were 3 by the time they potty trained and dresses/skirts were not a problem. Skirts just pull down like pants, dresses just bunch up around waist--or mom can pin it up over the shoulder if needed. The advantage of dresses is she can run around sans-undies and no one notices but she can manage easier on the potty.

A stiff tutu may make wiping herself difficult.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingodslove View Post
ooh! good! Thank-you for the helpful thoughts!

I hadn't even considered that dresses make potty training trickier! Are skirts kind of a pain for potty training too? Or maybe not tutus but sporty skirts kind of work like shorts?

I think ten-ish is a good place for me to start. I might be even able to keep her things in the desk we are using instead of having to find a dresser for her for another year if I keep it down to ten.
I didn't find using dresses for potty training to be tricky I think it was easier than pants as a matter of fact with my boys they wore long t-shirts when they were potty training
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
anna4ce
Registered Users

So thankful to have stumbled on this post! My little boy is 2 and his sister will be joining us this summer. Many of the infant clothes were gender neutral as we were Team Green for his birth, but I'm getting overloaded with the amount of cute little girl things there are! I'm hoping to reuse a lot of the pants and plain colored shirts for this little girl until 12/18 months, but I don't want to get sucked into the frenzy of buying more. It's so difficult not to go back to old habits of just buying everything that's adorable, but I like the suggestions here of 10ish outfits for a little capsule wardrobe. It sounds feasible and I have time to find good quality basics to build it up.
anna4ce is offline   Reply With Quote