Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #21
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: how far along are you when they do the gluclose test?

i cant bring myself to get involved in the can i decline it part of this thread....

Only you can do research on the GT and see if its risks and benefits are worth doing the test or declining it. MANY women DO NOT know they even have the OPTION to decline that or any other tests because their OBs DONT tell them they have much more say than they think.

I would not base the decision purely off everything i read online or in a book or what my OB tells me, you must gather all the info and make a INFORMED decision for yourself.

and thats all ill say about that

Advertisement

Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
ldsmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the glucose test last week when I was 24wks. Diabetes runs in my family so I figured I should! The stuff you drink tastes like orange soda not to bad cold.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #23
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I think here its beween 24-28 weeks
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #24
kristenkan52
Registered Users

Mine was 28 weeks. I had a couple friends who "failed" the first time around even though in the end they did not have any actual problems and so I figured out some helpful tricks to getting a more accurate first attempt. Even though it is "non-fasting" I did mine in the late afternoon around 4pm and did not eat for 2 hours before. This meant I ate breakfast and lunch as normal but didn't have snacks after lunch. IMO you should avoid any complex carbohydrates (these turn to sugar) for the whole day, so I think I had eggs and maybe a little juice for breakfast, and maybe some wheat toast. Then for lunch I ate a huge chef's salad but no bread or anything. I drank water only except for the little bit of juice in the morning. So that would be my recommendation because I have a big needle phobia too and I did not want to have to do the second test if the first one was ambiguous. HTH!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #25
averysmom
Registered Users

I had the GD test at around 26 weeks with ds, failed that one. The nurse said I sould drink some orange juice before the test, so ofcourse I failed. Then I took the 3hr test, they told me to do the same thing. Failed that one too. (I saw a family practice doc, that would sometimes do things a little backwards.) Then when I got preggers with dd I did the gd test at 18 weeks passed flying colors. Took another one at around 26 weeks failed this time, then I took the 3hr test and passed. I really felt like I was mis-diagnoised (sp?) the first time around. I think that sugar drink is just aweful. It made me want to throw-up. I decided to have the test because dibeates runs in my family.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #26
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine were all 28 weeks. I just failed my 1 hour test last week and I'm scheduled to do the 3 hour on Thursday. My SIL is driving me to and from the test.

I had the same thing during my last (third) pregnancy. I ended up passing the 3 hour test with flying colors. But I was really glad my mom was with me. I couldn't have made it home by myself.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #27
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Your baby is at increased risk for hyper/hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc if you do have it, it isn't just that your baby could be big. I always wanted to know so that I could know how to control my diet if I did have it, which I have 2-5 pregnancies (so far). My doc was SUPER surprised when I had it with my first because the ONLY risk factor that I had was that my grandmother was diabetic (later in life), and that didn't really put me at any higher risk than normal. I was able to control it by diet each time, but with my first I had to REALLY watch what I ate, even fruit put me over my blood sugar limits. With my dd I could still eat fruit as long as I had it before a balanced meal.

I think the doing the diabetes diet helped me develop a healthier eating style overall. When I was young it used to be all carbs, breads, pastas, etc. Those were the days! Now I make room for more fruits/veggies and try to have everything in balance.
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote