Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #21
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: any tea drinkers?

I've got a pot of water boiling now so I can have some decaf green tea... the nutritionist said it would do good things for my head cold.

Advertisement

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
momma_c
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My OB when I was pregnant with my daughter told me that drinking raspberry leaf tea could help my body dilate because I was looking for safe alternatives to being induced.

"Which teas are not safe?
Many of the herbs used for teas, when taken in large or medicinal amounts, can potentially stimulate the uterus and induce miscarriage. These include anise, catnip, chamomile, comfrey, ephedra (called ma huang in traditional Chinese medicine), European mistletoe, hibiscus, horehound, Labrador, lemongrass, licorice root, mugwort, pennyroyal, raspberry leaf, rosemary, sage, sassafras, stinging nettle leaf, vetiver, and yarrow.

Although some midwives use raspberry leaf (also known as red raspberry leaf) to aid delivery, its effectiveness hasn't been proven. In any case, it should be used only near term and under the supervision of a healthcare professional. Avoid the rest of the herbs in this list during pregnancy and lactation. (BabyCenter, 'http://www.babycenter.com/0_herbal-teas-during-pregnancy_3537.bc?Ad=com.bc.common.AdInfo%401d4db8 e6'."

And here's one on green tea: "http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-24-2006-87222.asp"
momma_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #23
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_c View Post
My OB when I was pregnant with my daughter told me that drinking raspberry leaf tea could help my body dilate because I was looking for safe alternatives to being induced.

"Which teas are not safe?
Many of the herbs used for teas, when taken in large or medicinal amounts, can potentially stimulate the uterus and induce miscarriage. These include anise, catnip, chamomile, comfrey, ephedra (called ma huang in traditional Chinese medicine), European mistletoe, hibiscus, horehound, Labrador, lemongrass, licorice root, mugwort, pennyroyal, raspberry leaf, rosemary, sage, sassafras, stinging nettle leaf, vetiver, and yarrow.

Although some midwives use raspberry leaf (also known as red raspberry leaf) to aid delivery, its effectiveness hasn't been proven. In any case, it should be used only near term and under the supervision of a healthcare professional. Avoid the rest of the herbs in this list during pregnancy and lactation. (BabyCenter, 'http://www.babycenter.com/0_herbal-teas-during-pregnancy_3537.bc?Ad=com.bc.common.AdInfo%401d4db8 e6'."

And here's one on green tea: "http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-24-2006-87222.asp"
That's the key right there. Having a cup of chamomile tea (or even two everyday!), is not an amount that would be considered 'large' or 'medicinal'. Aside from that, unless you are getting medicinal grade herbs, the herbs that are in store bought tea bags are processed enough that you really don't need to fret over them.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #24
peachbub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all your help, mamas!

so ... it seems like the consensus is that most teas are safe in moderation? since they aren't "medicinal" amounts of herbs it's not a huge problem and just watch the amount of caffeine you get? thanks, mamas! i didn't think tea could be all bad, but a lot of the info out there is so misleading!!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #25
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I drank tea throughout my pregnancy. Mainly black tea - both bagged and loose leaf. I do drink some herbal teas. I read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Woman-Herbal-Childbearing-Year/dp/0961462000[/url]

I just got it out of our library. I was really informative.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #26
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heluvsme View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and get some red raspberry leaf tea. I have friends who drink it all throughout pg and they love it. I hate tea, so I tried the capsules instead. It really does make a difference in your delivery and recovery.
I dont know if it was really that or not..

but I had to be induced for my son .. I was in labor almost 4 hours and only had to push almost 2 times.. once for the head and a grunt for the body..lol..

I was up and walking around in no time.. It was rad!
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #27
lisapoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My chriopractor told me to drink raspberry leaf tea when I was pg to ease morning sickness.
lisapoe is offline   Reply With Quote