Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I starting a slippery slope?

Glad to see I'm not the only one!! My dd's just started the stink when she got older. I think she is just a super soaker. She even holds it most of the night because she is ECing, but if I don't catch her right away, boy is it a stinker! I think I'm just going to go the sposie route for night time and just call it quits. I was spending most of my time trying to rinse, bleach and boil and I just can't do that. I think I'll be happier if I can just eliminate that night time stink and keep working on EC during the day. Maybe we'll be all out of dipes soon. Oh, but if I start talking like I want to use sposie pull ups, shoot me down (those things were the kiss of death for my ds, who still has potty issues at five!)

Advertisement

Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
PolkaDots
Registered Users

Personally, I think that a baby's longest diaper of the day should be their best diaper.

The suggestions given to rinse the diaper out, and to change asap in the morning are great.

I would like to add that you should make sure the child is hydrated enough and that you diapers don't have detergent residue. A detergent with fragrance will also make the diapers smell worse.

A thoughtful question to ask would be, how would a disposable diaper smell any better?

There is also no rule that says you can't wash a night diaper twice before using again either?

You have options, hopefully this reminds you of a few. I like wearing only comfy clothes at night! Well most nights
PolkaDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have found that I just need to do laundry every other day or two and rinse the inserts on cold first. I use my very best diapers and inserts at night and have enough to make it three nights. (SEZ windpro with night insert). It took me a while to get into a grove, but he's 15 months old and an extrememly heavy wetter, I change him if he wakes up and also first thing in the morning and we haven't had a stink problem yet. I have noticed if I close the bag tight that it gets worse fast. Air actually helps the inserts from stinking in my opinion. I also don't add any tea tree or anything else to my hanging bag. I found when I did, I could smell the pee smell more.

Oh and I also stopped using hemp at night. It's just too hard to keep smelling fresh. I use SEZ night time sherpa inserts. Work beautifully!

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I was doind diaper laundry EVERY day when I was using cloth at night. It couldn't stand more than an hour. I tried wet pailing night time diapers, but that made me have two different pail systems because my dh refuses to change our current system (he doesn't want to buy another can) and it was too much work, too complicated and besides that I still had to wash every day. Hemp seemed to be the only thing that could hold my super soaker. Maybe I'll give it another try. Oh, the other reason maybe sposies will work better is that I was just given a whole bunch of jammies and they won't fit for long if I have to put a bulky diaper on under them. I'll look into the SEZ ones. I was using an infant prefold inside a snappied premium, maybe I'll give that another try.
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i actually don't wet pail, i just rinse it really well and throw it in with the others ...

i started cloth at night because our sposies were about to burst in the mornings ... but i didn't love the smell ..... i had to firgure something out too. I'm not using jammies anymore because we are using kind of large wool covers but before his jammies looked so funny with his overstuffed cd bum!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #16
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

ok, keep in mind that I'm pretty new to cd and know not what I speak of (and I use a 'sposie at night) but it doenst bother me and it seems like it does you so.....

As a dog person, when I have a stink issue of any sort, I use Nature's Miracle. I buy it by the gallon (sometimes by the case) and use it on *everything* that has an organic smell. Pee, vomit, etc. When my car seatbelts smelled b/c I spilt milk while pumping, NM to the rescue. When m cousin's car seat smelled b/c her son had a pt accident, NM to the rescue.

Might not try it on an expensive diaper first, maybe start w/a pf but take it and saturate it and let dry or throw in the wash after soaking for a bit.
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote