Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Termie
Registered Users
seller

Waking sleepy... his belly or something else?

Ds is 4m 19d. He was waking in the middle of the night when before he'd been sleeping 9-10hr/night. I started consistently offering both sides at each feeding and he's slept 9hr/night for the last 3 nights again. But he's waking at the 9hr mark unhappy and nursing eagerly. But as soon as he gets letdown going he shuts his eyes and seems to be "sleep eating". When he's done if I didn't start talking to him and dh didn't get him up I think he'd still sleep awhile.

That makes me think that it's his belly waking him not his sleepometer. Is that sleepy waking and eating common at this age and I'm making too much of it?

I'm wondering if he's getting more milk, but not quite enough to sleep his 10hr like he used to. I figure I need to give it at LEAST a week to see if my body will up it's supply so that he has more to eat available.

Is it possible that he ALREADY needs some foods to help him sleep as much as his body wants to??

***Adding that I did not night wean him. HE did it. As we increased daily feeds he stopped waking up at night. He's been 8-10hr/night since 3months 2d.
Thanks
Sara

Advertisement

Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Re: Waking sleepy... his belly or something else?

Have you checked his gums? Could be teething. When my DS has a tooth working its way through, he often wakes at night and wants the comfort of nursing, whereas he's been sleeping 11 hours at night since he was about 2 mo old. Then after the tooth comes in, he's right back to his 11 hour night sleep.

Depending on your child, this can go on for a long time. DS did that for almost a whole month working on his first tooth. The last one, it was about a week of waking up in the night to be comforted before the tooth came in. Teething is super hard on babies and my DS started working on them at about 4 mo, so that could very well be it.

HTH!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Termie
Registered Users
seller

he did break his first tooth last tuesday and we check on the progress of the other one frequently. When he woke b/c of the first tooth he didn't want to nurse... he struggled with eating if he was tired. He preferred dh to me and was asleep before dh could get the Hyland's in his mouth LOL!

But you are right... it could be teething and then b/c he's awake his belly says... HEY yeah! Let's eat!!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Could also be a growth spurt!
My kiddo slept like a champ until one day he decided he didn't want to anymore. I've been fighting him on that for a few months now and only now have the tides started to turn in my favor. He's only waking up once a night now. Just goes to show that they sometimes just change their minds about things one day for no apparent reason and then things are different! Weird babies!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Termie
Registered Users
seller

hahah weird babies!

i just dont' want to start him on solids too soon or deny him them if he is ready.

I also didn't want to be overlooking the obvious. thanks ladies!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Signs to look for for being ready to eat solids don't really have anything to do with how long they sleep. Things to look for are:

Taking a great interest in watching other people eat
Reaching for your food
Making chewing motions
Loss of the tongue thrust

Good luck mama! Very well could just be a growth spurt, I wouldn't worry at all.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

I'm confused at what the question is... he's still young so 9 hours is a long stretch... probably he needs to eat around then and then go back to sleep. Honestly 9 hours for a whole nights sleep is not enough for a baby imo. If you let him eat and then doze back off to sleep... he probably needs more like 12 hours of sleep. Is that the questiON?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
Termie
Registered Users
seller

yeah i didn't have a SPECIFIC question b/c I really wasn't sure what i was trying to ask. LOL!!!

I was telling dh that he needs closer to 12hr soon and we need to either move his bedtime earlier or encourage him to sleep later. Right now he's 9:30 to about 6:15 and then gets about 7hr of sleep in naps. (3hr, 2hr, 1hr), so he's at about 16hr of sleep/day which is pretty average for his age (at least I think so, I may be remembering wrong.)

I guess I just wanted reassurance that we're doing the right thing so far and not missing something big and that we just need to keep at it and/or figure out what what else we need to be encouraging.