Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sick of the "big Belly" comments!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
I had that happen. Keep in mind I"m not the most. . . . . tactful. . . person in the world. Some lady walked up to me while I was pregnant with my second daughter(whom I had TONS of trouble gaining weight with and ended the pregnancy preterm and 20lbs lighter) in wal-mart while I was grocery shopping with my husband and my THEN 4 year old. She put her hand on my belly and said, "wow, you are huge! when are you due???? that baby is going to be enormous!" So in all my tactful glory I stuck my hand on her belly(she was a bit on the overweight side, not just chubby or bigger) and said, "you too mama! when's this little guy due????" She was most obviously NOT pregnant. She got flame red, took her hand back, and walked away. But hey, hands off! You wouldn't walk up to someone with a beer gut and say, "hey buddy, you are getting huge!" So why would you walk up to a pregnant woman who's hormones are crazy and do it? She's already probably self-conscious about being big and her hormones are swinging left to right and she really doesn't need your opinion on her baby's size, weight, gender, etc. Stupid people!

I really think more pg women should do that...maybe we (although I'm not currently pg) would get treated more like humans and not like science experiments or public freak shows. Its still MY body ya know? I think the only thing anyone unfamiliar should ever say to a pg women is "you look beautiful/radiant/insert NICE compliment here".

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
nacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
I had that happen. Keep in mind I"m not the most. . . . . tactful. . . person in the world. Some lady walked up to me while I was pregnant with my second daughter(whom I had TONS of trouble gaining weight with and ended the pregnancy preterm and 20lbs lighter) in wal-mart while I was grocery shopping with my husband and my THEN 4 year old. She put her hand on my belly and said, "wow, you are huge! when are you due???? that baby is going to be enormous!" So in all my tactful glory I stuck my hand on her belly(she was a bit on the overweight side, not just chubby or bigger) and said, "you too mama! when's this little guy due????" She was most obviously NOT pregnant. She got flame red, took her hand back, and walked away. But hey, hands off! You wouldn't walk up to someone with a beer gut and say, "hey buddy, you are getting huge!" So why would you walk up to a pregnant woman who's hormones are crazy and do it? She's already probably self-conscious about being big and her hormones are swinging left to right and she really doesn't need your opinion on her baby's size, weight, gender, etc. Stupid people!
I think im going to do that next time! And honestly, i dont think im THAT big. Ive only gained 7lbs Yea my belly's poking out, and yea duh! i know!
nacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

People have no tact. That's just the way it is unfortunately. I get the "You're so huge/small/whatever" a lot lately too. As long as my CNM says I'm okay, I just brush it off.

I gave my DH a book when we were expecting our first that said it's a partner's job to protect their women from strangers that were too friendly. I wish I could remember the exact quote but it said something along the lines of, "How would you feel if some strange person approached you, grabbed your crotch and asked when you were due?" It made me laugh!