Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Contractions all day 6-8 mins apart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLove View Post
My friend who has taken a bunch of doula classes showed me how to do it without an internal check! When you have a contraction, the uterus gets hard like a rock...in early labor it will be just the top of the belly that is hard, and by 10 cm, the whole belly is hard, all the way to the bottom of the belly. When it is hard halfway (to your belly button), that is 5 cm. So you can estimate by feeling how much of your belly is hard during contractions. From what she told me, it is always right on!
Wow. From what I remember, my whole darn belly was hard.

You can check yourself, just make sure you are nice and clean. Then once you pull out (trying to keep your fingers the distance apart you found your cervix to be), measure it. In one of my pg books it had a chart that showed each cm and I'd just compare to that.

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

it's coming kristen..
i went to bed early last night or tried to, contractions were going on for about 30-40 minutes and hurt like crazy, dh was panicing already but i just tried to relax and drink icewater and elevate my feet which swelled up again yesterday evening, i don't know why but they hurt soo bad and even my legs up to my knees got really swollen.
today i am able to walk a little better than yesterday, i don't feel any ctx but i know the time is coming soon as some other "symptoms' have begun today
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLove View Post
My friend who has taken a bunch of doula classes showed me how to do it without an internal check! When you have a contraction, the uterus gets hard like a rock...in early labor it will be just the top of the belly that is hard, and by 10 cm, the whole belly is hard, all the way to the bottom of the belly. When it is hard halfway (to your belly button), that is 5 cm. So you can estimate by feeling how much of your belly is hard during contractions. From what she told me, it is always right on!
The ones I am having (and had with DD #1 also) are my entire belly and I am definitely not 10cm (although I wish I was )
Old 09-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Shucks, well it worked on me, but not for everyone. My belly was softer on the bottom and harder on top when I was halfway.

Good luck and best wishes for all you mamas due soon! Graceful labor and healthy baby vibes!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

My whole belly gets hard too no matter what. I have been contracting hard for 3 days now...anywhere from 15-25 min apart... not close enough for MW concern but enough for me...at 35 weeks...to worry. but I'm all about a 36 weeker right at this moment.