Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
marmee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Give me your thrifty tips!

I need some thrifty tips. We are a family of four, living on 1 income and our finances are TIGHT. I need all your great thrifty tips.
Stephanie

Advertisement

marmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Give me your thrifty tips!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...highlight=tips

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...highlight=tips

Two great threads!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Give me your thrifty tips!

The ones that work for me and my two boys

keep turning the air down and the heat up
Unplug the dryer so you never use it. Get something to hang stuff up inside for when it is cold and rainy
Rewear clothes that aren't dirty or stinky (I can't do undies or socks though)
I have one towel I use all week and the boys share a towel all week.
The boys only get baths three times a week (unless they are filthy)
Unplugging everything at night and only plugging it back in when you use it
Cut your cable down to the next chepest (I had basic now I have very basic which is 10 channels)
Try to not use the dishwasher
I work so cooking from scratch is hard but when I do I make huge amounts and freeze them so the next time all I have to do is reheat them
If you ever eat out keep a few easy meals in the freezer or pantry so instead of running through drive-through you will make those
Switch out all your lightbulbs. I didn't even put lightbulbs back in a few spots that I decided we never needed them.

Track your finances down to the penny for a month so you know where they are going

Pre-children in my broke-college days getting a decent bike saved me tons of $$$$ since I filled up with gas about once every 2 months.

If something at the store is on sale like my favorite whole grain noodles or the cheap frozen veggies I buy tons. I know I will use them up.

I have calculated my savings from Sam's club and it never pans out by much.

You can usually get free produce, or nearly free, if you get what they are throwing out, it is usually pretty darn good stuff. I only do this when desperate, I say its for a pet, but we have actually always gotten pretty nice stuff, except bananas. You can ask to buy a dozen eggs with a broken egg and you will get them for next to nothing if they charge you anything at all.

I'm doing pretty good on the cheap end of things but my boys haven't been eating as healthy so I'm having to work at balancing that.