Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #21
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will Pregnancy make my baby wean?

We went to the ped for ds's well check up today and I asked about the prego and bfing thing. He said should be fine, BUT I would have to wean ds at 6mo pregnant. Then he asked me why I was giving him "that look." I guess my face showed what I was feeling He said preterm labor blah blah blah.

And in related good news, since being off birth control, ds'd poo is back to normal seedy and loose, and I pumped waaay more than ever today!!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #22
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalcindd View Post
We went to the ped for ds's well check up today and I asked about the prego and bfing thing. He said should be fine, BUT I would have to wean ds at 6mo pregnant. Then he asked me why I was giving him "that look." I guess my face showed what I was feeling He said preterm labor blah blah blah.

And in related good news, since being off birth control, ds'd poo is back to normal seedy and loose, and I pumped waaay more than ever today!!
You didn't buy that six months business, did you? You can continue to breastfeed unless you are put on "pelvic rest" during pregnancy. As long as your ob still allows you to have sex, you can breastfeed.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #23
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will Pregnancy make my baby wean? Updated post 21

from everything i read & discussed with my midwife & a LLL leader, it sounds like it really depends on your body & your lo's reaction

my ds nursed until he self-weaned at 22 months - i happened to be 16 week pregnant at that time - i didn't notice much change in supply - but maybe he noticed a difference in taste ... or maybe he would have weaned at that point anyway - who knows?

i have several friends who nursed right up to delivery & then tandem nursed after that

and other pp have shared their different experiences in this thread - so i don't think there's any "set rule" about it; i would definitely talk to a midwife and lactation consultant about safely increasing supply; sometimes pumping can cause strong uterine contractions - it did for me in the final days which is why i was doing it LOL !!! i was trying to kick into labor...was almost at week 42!

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #24
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yeah it's DEF okay to nurse during pregnancy unless you are put on pelvic rest like the pp said. I just asked my daughters doc which will now be my doc for this pregnancy and he said it was perfectly FINE and GOOD for the other baby as well. He said in order to HELP keep supply to be sure to get EXTRA liquids just like normal but now we're actually keeping liquids for the baby and for the toddler, kwim? Don't buy the 6 month stuff at least look it up on your own!! Good luck momma. I'm going through this too and am scared to death!!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #25
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Silly doctor. You don't have to wean during pregnancy.

I've had two nurslings wean during pregnancy and one not. Every woman's milk supply reacts differently to being pregnant. Mine does dry up right before changing to colostrum about half way through - that's when my boys weaned. My dd didn't care, she'd still be nursing a lot if it weren't for my own discomfort.

There are ways of boosting your milk supply during pregnancy. Honestly, the mini-pill did more to damage my supply than pregnancy ever has. You can eat oatmeal, make sure baby is nursing plenty, and you can also get an herbal tincture from motherlove.com called More Milk Plus 2 (I believe that's the one..). It's actually designed for pregnant nursing moms. It helped me keep mine up when we were dealing with recurring thrush during this pregnancy.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #26
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pick and choose what I listen to doctors about. I knew that was wrong about weaning during pregnancy. Thanks so much for all the GREAT advice and support.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #27
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalcindd View Post
Is there anything you can do that is safe during pregnancy to increase supply if they start to wean?
Eat oatmeal! Lots and lots of water. I've heard sesame seeds are also good.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #28
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
I am currently 28 weeks pregnant and DS is 11 months old. If anything my supply has increased...it is weird because I was told that it was going to decrease and disappear eventually, but we are still nursing 8 or more times a day, and my breasts have been super full and I am having to go back to wearing breast pads....

WOW! I haven't heard that happen from very many people...actually I don't think I've ever heard that from someone! Congrats!