Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
HumblePie98
Registered Users

My Mood:
Getting frustrated!!!!

I'm fairly new to Cding. My baby is a tiny lil guy. His legs are a newborns, they have no fat. He has no waist, or bum. Going by his wieght he should wear a medium. Here's the problem. MOST of my mediums are to large in the leg and waist area. I'm having a horrible time finding the right stuff. I have an AIO and a cover that works well. (I mostly use prefolds) What else can I do to make this work?? I want to just sell it all and be done already! I'm getting frustrated!!!!

Advertisement

HumblePie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting frustrated!!!!

Maybe wool? You can get a custom fit that way. Or maybe custom made covers? If you'd like I could give it a whirl and modify a fleece cover for you. How about by his waist? maybe instead of going by weight, go by his waist and thigh measurements. My DD weight wise is still a small, but measurement wise she is a medium. HTH
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

word of advice: never go by weight. he probably needs smalls! try a small out first! Or use prefolds until he can fit into the meds.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
zaphodsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like the pp said - don't go by weight. What are you most frustrated with? The fit of the covers or your AIO's? Are you using front aplix, front snaps or side snaps? Wool covers will contain well, no matter what shape your baby - must make sure the measurements fit though. Pm me and I'll give you my experience with diapering my skinny minny boy.....HIT!
regards
Old 05-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

What are you using that are mediums? What is your babies waist measurements? Thighs?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
HumblePie98
Registered Users

My Mood:

I will have to get measurements in the morning. The bad part is, I spent all the money I borrowed on mediums. I did purcahse a small off a mom today. I had infant prefolds, But I gave them away in FFS deal. The prefolds I use now, I have to fold them down in the front, almost in half.

I will update in the morning. But to give you an idea, he almost 9 months and wear 3-6 month clothes. He's 14 pounds 14 ounces.
HumblePie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i def think he needs smalls
NEVER go by wiegh though
david is 3 and i know he can still squeeze on mediums he so tiny
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
mnpetnurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you like to use prefolds with covers (a very economical way to go) I would suggest that you get one each of the following covers in medium: Bummi's Super Whisper Wrap (velcro) and a Prorap (Proservice Classic - velcro).

The BSWW can be had new for $9.25 or less, sure you can find a used one for sale here for $5-6ppd. It does not have leg gussets and the velcro tabs can overlap in the front so I found them quite adjustable (however my dd was a CHUNK). It is for 15-30 pounds. I like the "softer" look and feel of this cover.

The Proservice Prorap Classic (velcro) new is $7.25 or less, so should be able to get here for $4-6ppd used. It has a double leg gusset which can be better for skinny legs. It is for 13-25 pounds. This has a more plasticy look and feel than a BSWW, but the sizing and gussets may work better for your guy.

Get one of each and see what you think. Remember, if he just pees, you can toss the cover aside and let it air dry, then re-use it. You can do this probably 3-4 times before you HAVE to throw it in the laundry -- or you can try rinsing it out and letting it air dry overnight. So you could get by on a couple covers a day (assuming he is not pooping all the time) until you have a verdict on these.

Also, all those mediums that you invested in WILL get used, he just has to get there. And if you find that by the time he gets that big you like a different system, then you can sell it all here and buy what works. The toddler/large prefolds that you have will also get him through 'til he potty learns - you will just need new covers, size large, as he gains weight -- which won't be for a long time.

I personally used prefolds and covers on dd1 for the first 18 months until I was introduced to pockets (that's a whole 'nother can o' worms) and now am switching over. I am also experienceing some frustration finding which pocket is best, but I keep in mind that this stuff has GREAT resale value here on DS.

One last tip for prefolds: to keep your little guy dry you can line it with a piece of fleece (like the size of a doubler/insert/stuffer) that will wick the pee away and into the prefold. You can buy this and cut it yourself for fairly cheap - I am not sure what fleece you want, you'd have to ask around...got that tip AFTER I had stopped using prefolds. : )

Oh, and you could potentially BORROW various covers from other CD moms...do you have contacts in either your local Attachment Parenting or NINO (Nine in, Nine out) group? You could google them and see if they have chapters in your area...I have found that the majority of AP and NINO moms use CDs.

Hang in there!
mnpetnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
roseselene
Registered Users

I agree that weight can be deceiving. I had the opposite issue. With DS if I went by weight I would have had diapers that were too small for him because he had extremely huge thighs and a fat waist. I always had to size up from what the weight said. So, probably, your DS just needs smalls and you will have more success.
Amy
Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
brayg
Registered Users

I would suggest smalls, although you may find them to be too small in the rise. You may have better luck with an aplix/velcro diaper--maybe a pocket like a happy heiny but with the crossover tab. I agree with the poster who said to try out the bummis or prorap covers.

mnpetnurse--I see you are in Bloomington! I live in Jordan--just one town south of Shakopee. We are very close to eachother!