Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:
Please help I feel off the thrifty wagon ..

and i do not know if we can pay all the bills this month .. i am getting back on but need help .. what should i do ? i work a pt job picking up kids .. we are really behind on one CC .. the others were all caught up .. i am not sure if i should pay off the whole amt on the one or pay the smaller ones .. (yes we have too many cc ) .. we are gonna eat outta what we have expect getting perishables for as long as we can .. i just need some encouragement .. we are going thru all of it tonite .. i am scared

UPDATED :
ideas to stay on thrifty wagon
1. stay away from FSOT unless selling something
2. DO NOT GO TO TARGET FOR ANY REASON
3. shop for groceries once a week w/DH

Advertisement

Last edited by crunchymomof3; 09-21-2007 at 03:38 PM.
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
see_nelle_run
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help I feel off the thrifty wagon ..

Try to stay current on your CC's. That's the best way to avoid racking up more fees (they love to take on late fees).
Consolidate when you can, it will really help.
If worst comes to worst, you can eat ramen noodles (not the healthiest, but at least it's food) with veggies until your financial situation improves. I did this for a couple of months before I was married.
see_nelle_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know what you mean about CCs. We had them all paid off, then had some unexpected medical expenses and education expenses, so now we have 2 CCs that we are trying to pay off. Some things that I have done to get myself through tough times are sell off things that we don't need (for example my husbands 42 inch television....), don't go out to eat, and only go to the grocery store once a month. I send my husband to the store for milk and other necessities once a week or so, but the rest of the time I find something in my kitchen to make. It works. Plus if I go to the grocery store I usually buy too much. LOL! Also I only spend paypal that I have, so I have to sell something to buy something. It works well for me, especially since it gets me to keep track of what I really need and what I don't.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
momahaylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know what you mean i need to get on the wagon im just looking at how pretty is
Old 09-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
shady_19
Registered Users

My Mood:

You might be able to call one or two of the current ones and see if you can skip a payment or ask for a one time reduced payment. We get offers for them all the time from our cc company.

I'll second, third and fourth staying out of the stores! I'm on "restriction"---both self imposed and DH. We're trying to get by this month since I've been on leave without pay for the remainder of my maternity leave. It ends next week. We're working on reducing, reducing, reducing so that hopefully I can change my work schedule by the end of the year. Praying hard for that to happen!

I'm about to list some stuff on Craigslist myself. I don't make diapers and I don't have any for sale as I bought the minimum I needed in PFs for a newborn and as soon as he grows out of them, I'm selling them b/c I hate 'em and buying more BG2's since they can work for DS1 and DS2. I only CD PT b/c of work so that should be more than enough for us! Sell something you love to remind you of what you "did." It's no fun but it works to keep it fresh in your head.
GL!
shady_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas keep em coming .. we are gonna call some cc about delaying $ .. great idea having DH go to the store for necessaties
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do not buy anything unless it is on your list. Only put things on the list you really can't wait until next month to get. If you are behind with bills you might have to give up things like meat, pop, juice and such for awhile. Get a whole chicken instead of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Bean burritos, beans & rice, whole chicken and potatoes, pancakes & eggs...those are some super cheap meals. Only get produce that is on sale for under $1 a pound. Get the cheapest milk you can.

Look around the house for unused things, or things worth some money that you can live without. I have sold things of mine that I loved at one time, but didn't really do anything with anymore. It helps if it is a sacrifice.

Can you or DH find some form of temporary p/t work?

Have you read Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey? Get it from the library and read it. It is a quick, easy read and has helped a LOT of people.

ETA: Are you still using the cc's??? If so, you have to stop using them ASAP. That is the hardest thing, stopping the cycle. But it has saved us from financial ruin. Don't close the accounts, just hide/destroy the cards.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!

Last edited by DivineNature; 09-21-2007 at 04:57 PM.
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momahaylie View Post
i know what you mean i need to get on the wagon im just looking at how pretty is
it is quite pretty LOL hop on, its comfty! padded seats home-sewed by thrifty mommas
Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
momahaylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lol
Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama0607 View Post
it is quite pretty LOL hop on, its comfty! padded seats home-sewed by thrifty mommas
my big ol fat preggo butt is in a bean bag over in the corner re-reading the Dave Ramsey book for the 10th time cuz I learn something new EACH time I read it!

Anyway... my suggestions:
1) coupons

2) get a list and don't buy anything unless it's on the list

3) cut up the credit cards, call the cc companies and ask for a reduction in payment or if you're military and had them before your spouse when on active duty- invoke the ServiceMember Credit Relief Act. They have to drop the APR to 6% and make it retroactive to the date entered active duty.

4) Ask one the mods to make it so you can't see the FSOT board. Will reduce what you see on the board, but it will also reduce temptations.

5) Make a budget and stick to it. It'll take a few months to get used to it, but it really does help.

6) consolidate cc's. Paying one cc with a high balance at one APR is better than paying two cc's with different APR's.

7) Take a deep breath and take one day at a time. Sucks, but I'm in the same boat and we're slowly starting to paddle in a line, not a circle.