Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #41
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any Semi-Crunchy moms?

i breast feed, in process going mainly organtic, milk no organtic to much $$, tried cd didnt work for us, baby wearing co sleeping, circ yes, vac yes, use re usable bags as much as i can, trying to use as much all natural as can afford

Advertisement

mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #42
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess that I could categorize myself as Semi-crunchy. I breastfeed, cloth diaper, wear our babies, buy organic, buy from local farmer's markets, part-time cosleep, line dry as much as we can, use homeopathic rememdies as much as possible, and we compost. We reuse our plastic bags, and do have reusable bags for grocery shopping, and we recycle!

HOWEVER!!! I cannot let go of the following:

-Bare Escentuals makeup, especially the lip-glosses
-Bare Esentuals discontinued line of 'Walk in The Rain" scents
-The occasional Coca-Cola, especially cherry!
-Allure Magazine
-Aveda hairspray
-My hair dryer and big roller brush when I feel like blowing out my hair
-My razor, my at-home face waxing kit, and getting my bikini-line waxed proffesionally.
-Shop at Costco for meats and some other items

I did end up getting medication with both my hospital births, DS is circimcised (please no flames...). And DS loves to comfort suck, so he has a binky!!

I also like chocolate (M&Ms), In-n-Out Burger, and TV shows.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er

Last edited by flobee76; 09-22-2007 at 11:59 AM.
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #43
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know where I fall on the crunchy scale.
All my boys are circ'd and if this is a boy he will be too.
I totally vax but have always worried about it and when they are tiny I bf during vaxing for pain relief.
I don't home school and don't see myself ever homeschooling.

I extended bf- DS3 is 26 months and still bf!
I co-sleep for about the first month, then bassinet next to the bed for another 3 months then crib in the nursery.
I used the diva cup and cloth panty liners before getting pg, have pp cloth ready to go!
I use family cloth.
I CD ALL the time- no sposies here! We don't have many rash problems since going cloth so that isn't an issue. If he gets a slight rash I use frog jelly with a liner.
I have always had to be induced and the last ended up being a section but if things were different I would love a home waterbirth. I realize that will never happen for me and will just be happy to have a healthy baby without having a section!
No paper plates.
I recycle like crazy! We have half trash half recyclables!
I have worn each of my boys a little and will wear this one more.
I have done cio on a limited basis.
I just adore my guys and try to do what works best for them!

ETA: I took the quiz and I'm- Mmm! Love that whole-grain crunch!
I would have been super nutty if I made my own dipes or mama cloth!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 09-22-2007 at 01:21 PM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #44
BeachBabyMom
Registered Users

After reading the posts and taking the quiz, I'll check in as the most mainstream mom, here.

About the only thing that might save me from being liquid jell-o (on the quiz scale) is I love my cloth diapers. But I admit, I started using them on dd because they were cute and I would save money in the long run. I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't have any diaper rash once we ditched the sposies but even the health benefits weren't an issue. As for the environment, I am glad I'm doing something good on a small scale, but again, not the deciding factor in choosing Bubblegum Pink pockets.

While I respect every mother's decisions on how to care for her family, I'll probably do it the same way again next time (if there is one - hopefully medical science will come through for us again).
Old 09-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #45
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I am so glad to see so many posts!! My oldest is circ'ed. I did cuz it was in his best interest from what I was told. I do not regret making a choice that was to help my child. He still got some isssues while in dipes so this time I will just leave the boys we have intact. Honestly, makes no difference to me either way, as long as he can pee and get an erection.

I also spank on occassion, not often as my son knows I will do it if I have to warn him too many times. In 10 years he has gotten 7 maybe. Some kids just need a swat on the fanny to figure it out....mine is one of them sometimes

I love binkies as I am not a human pacifier...LOL!! I have babies that love to root...LOL!! Jake had his till he was 22 mos and I could have cared less. My mother thought he would go to college with it...LOL!! I was like I am sure my son at some point in his life will put something much worse in his mouth

We are going for a water birth this time. If not then I will deliver on the birthing ring again as lying on a bed on my back is not how I deliver...it hurts. I like to squat on the floor...but it freaks the medical people out too much so water or the ring like last time will be the goal. The only reason I do not get drugs is because I am so afraid of needle like IV's etc that I rather suffer through it...LOL!!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #46
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i'm semi crunchy i think LOL

my littlest ones are BFd. co-sleep, cd, worn and we work on APing. all the boys are vaxed and circ'd, although i feel super duper bad about doing nolans. i've had 3 hospital births and nolan as born at home

i cant/wont homeschool bc i simply dont have the patience to do it! those who do are AMAZING in my book lol

aside from that we love our meat, fast food etc
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #47
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Well here's us

- cosleep
- vax (sept flu and chicken pox)
- breastfeed
- we eat out alot
- we don't eat organic
- we drink regular whole milk (or 2%)
- we cd
- we do not cio
- we eat candy
- hospital births, hoping for unmedicated this time but won't be broken hearted if I change my mind
- we kept made in china toys that were not recalled
- we use flushable toilet paper
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #48
Ellies_Mommy
Registered Users

Ok, so I am new here and I dont really know what "crunchy" means, but this is my experience...

I was open to natural delivery but an epi was still an option, but I ended up getting induced due to high BP. And since my BP was so high because of the contractions, they had to give me and epi. So yeah, that didnt work out. But I really enjoyed my labor, so I think I will do an epi with the next one too.

I did the babywearing thing, until she didnt want me to anymore lol. I have a ring sling around just in case she will let me pop her in if we are out and about lol.

I WANTED to BF with all every peice of me! BUT my milk didnt come in for about 9 days, and she was STARVING! So we supplimented but always offered the breast first. Well 3 weeks after she was born, I was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery, went home for a day and half and went back for another emergency surgery due to complications from the first one. So, I was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks without a pump (the nurses kept saying they would bring me one) so what very very little milk I did have, pretty much dried up. I had SOME milk come in for about a week after my surgeries, but I was still in bad shape from everything, that I couldnt nurse her. So I pumped what I could, but only managed to get about 2 ounces. And then within about a week and a half of me being home, my DD was admitted to the hospital for 6 days with RSV and they needed her on some special high calorie formula, so I pumped what I could until there was nothing left and froze it all. I was very upset about all of this and still wish (10 months later) that I was able to BF. It is a touchy subject with me.

And I do co-sleep sometimes. I love having her in the bed with me, but we have a full size bed with me and my 6'4" 250lb DH lol, so its a little difficult squeezing her in there. Especially now that she is getting bigger and bigger and moves EVERYWHERE! She slept with us last night, and my DH woke up at the foot of the bed and my DD had her feet up against my back and her head on DH's pillow So it does get difficult. Plus she sleeps sooooooooooo much better in her own bed.

So that is pretty much it for me. I dont know if that would qualify for any kind of "crunch" but thats me! Thanks for reading!

ETA: we started CDing at about 9 months after my DH wanted to for soooo long And I can not do the CIO thing. It is tooo hard for me to hear my baby crying!! That is my utmost weakness! But I have friends that have used it and it works amazing for them. So I support it anyway you choose to do it as long as it isnt for more than a minute

Last edited by Ellies_Mommy; 09-22-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Ellies_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #49
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellies_Mommy View Post
I WANTED to BF with all every peice of me! BUT my milk didnt come in for about 9 days, and she was STARVING! So we supplimented but always offered the breast first. Well 3 weeks after she was born, I was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery, went home for a day and half and went back for another emergency surgery due to complications from the first one. So, I was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks without a pump (the nurses kept saying they would bring me one) so what very very little milk I did have, pretty much dried up. I had SOME milk come in for about a week after my surgeries, but I was still in bad shape from everything, that I couldnt nurse her. So I pumped what I could, but only managed to get about 2 ounces. And then within about a week and a half of me being home, my DD was admitted to the hospital for 6 days with RSV and they needed her on some special high calorie formula, so I pumped what I could until there was nothing left and froze it all. I was very upset about all of this and still wish (10 months later) that I was able to BF. It is a touchy subject with me.
I am so sorry that happened to you. You did EVERYTHING in your power. Your DD is lucky to have such a strong Momma!!! I am sure she is perfect, BM or not!! I can imagine the whole thing was so tramatic for you!! I totally think you are a semi-crunchy Momma
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #50
Ellies_Mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdof1985 View Post
see my siggy line

am i crunchy? no. Am i traditional? no. Im just a normal 22yr old married mom who lives outside the normal 22yr olds box.

we CD, co-sleep, do not vax anymore, BF or pump, use cloth as much as possible, plan to homeschool, we circ, we dont eat natural, and i SAH

but what does 1 person define as crunchy ya know? i mean everyone is different. So im crispy i like to think. Crispy like a pizza crust-- sometimes soft, sometimes crunchy- matters how you cook it, but NEVER burned. To me burning means youve fallen into what everyone else wants you to be and for me, i just cant do that- i have to find my own way.
:hail: That is PERFECT! This is exactly how it should be! Thank you! Do you mind if I say I am "cripsy" too?? DH will get a kick out of my "crispyness"

Ellies_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote