Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Cracked Nipples?

What do they look like and how do I tell if mine are cracked? I would think it would be obvious, but I'm not so sure. DD is 3 days old and my first BF child, so we are both learning at the same time. I have inverted nipples, which made the first day when my milk came in a little painful because of a bad latch (and when you have a kid on the weekend, the LC isn't there ). After getting the latch fixed, I am still having extreme pain while nursing. Both DH and I take a look at everything and see that she is indeed latched on correctly. My final conclusion is that they must be cracked (dry and rough, I see lines through the nip, but to tell you the truth, I have never paid attention to them before). If they are indeed cracked, what is the best and fastest way to heal them?

Katherine Kevin 12*30*03
Mommy to Mia Rose 1.4.06, Elizabeth Adeline 9.21.07 & William Paul 10.18.12
*Katherine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Cracked Nipples?

If your baby is latched on correctly your nipples shouldn't crack. Use lanolin and make an appointment with you lactation consultant. My nipples cracked with my 3rd baby and I never had problems with my first 2. I met with my LC and she helped me with the babies position.. once that was fixed I had no more pain. If your nipples are cracked you'll bleed a little bit and between feedings your nipples will scab up where ever they're cracked. Good luck and hang in there!
mclaybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

put lansinoh or coconut oil on them and that will help and you don't need to wipe it off before baby feeds. also check out for lots of great info
Amanda mommy to ds 3/13/05 and dd 9/11/06 and dd2 2-24-08-- dd3 1/19/12
2under2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Congratulations on your baby!

Fresh breastmilk on your nipples will reduce chance of infection and help them heal. Also, applying Lansinoh (ultra purified lanolin) ointment before and after feeding. Make sure if you're leaking you're changing your breast pads regularly, air time is good too.

For positioning info (just to make sure the bases are covered)

If you continue to have nipple pain, go see your lactation consultant again- breastfeeding is not meant to hurt!!!! Also, check and see if you have a La Leche League group in your area, great source of info and support:

There is a big learning curve right at the beginning of breastfeeding but it DOES get easier!
CKinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Users

yep, if your baby is latched on correctly it should not hurt contact your local LLL and they will be able to help u for free.

Also with both babies i used lanilin all the time, it really helps!!!!!!!!!!
Starting weight - 280 lbs
Current weight - 271 lbs
Goal weight - 160 lbs
120***110****100****90****80****70****60*** *50****40****30****20****10****pounds to go!
sjscnjs is offline   Reply With Quote