Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need help with my 3 y/o!!

Ok, I'm not sure what to do about him. He just will NOT listen and do what he's told. A couple of big examples: He'll be playing with toys or knock something over we ask him to pick up/clean up/put the toys away, etc. He'll look at us and say "no" and walk away. I've resorted to putting him in his room for a time out, but sometimes that doesn't work or I'll try to say that I'll put the toy away and he can't have it for awhile (that NEVER works, even when I DO it). Or another example, he'll be yelling about something and we ask him to stop, nope won't stop. He also gets SO frustrated with stuff right away, he starts yelling about it.

What can I do? Especially about the not doing what he's told? Please help me out with some suggestions. I hardly ever dealt with this with his 5 y/o brother.

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need help with my 3 y/o!!

I've had to deal with this to some extent with my dd. She's 3 as well. For the not listening, she pretends she doesn't hear. I always have to physically get down to her level and tell her what I want. If she starts to walk away, I will gently take her and 'help' her do what I asked (ex. take her hand in mine and pick up the toy I want picked up) then I praise her extensively for doing it. After a few times of that, she would every once in a while do it on her own and I made sure to praise and reward that positive behaivor.

For the getting frustrated right away, my dd is the worst! And no one can beat this girl for volume. She has just the right pitch to wake up every sleeping baby within a 5 mile radius! I have to be super duper calm (I've found that if I get frustrated with her it just makes it worse.) and keep talking in a calm voice to try and get her to tell me what's wrong.

I think 3 is a hard age, you process so much more than you can express. Some kids like your ds and my dd just have the personality that it is zero to screaming frustration in about half a second.

Hugs to you mama, I just want you to know you're not alone!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
DEmomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help with my 3 y/o!!

I'm right there with you too! My DS doesn't listen AT ALL! He turned 3 at the end of May and has become so much worse since then. He is downright nasty too. The things he says are just mean and the way he says it. I feel like I'm constantly asking him to speak nicely to people (especially me!).

Sorry that I don't have any advice for you....but like the above poster, wanted you to know you're not alone.

Anyone else's child HAVE to be first at everything? My DS will run to get whatever someone else wants just so he can have it first. He even "races" me to the bathroom so he can go potty first. Ugh!